Sunday, February 12, 2012

Browned Butter Crinkles


I am a nut for a frosted cookie.  My favorite cookie of all time is the unassuming holiday cut-out cookie with the frosting on top.  So, while paging through Wendy Paul’s cookbook the other day, this recipe jumped off the page.  A sugar cookie (another fave) topped with frosting, and not just any frosting, but one in which browned butter is used.  This, I thought to myself, had to be a winner.  It is!  Alone the cookie is delicious, but when topped with this complex and delicious-tasting frosting, it is a work of art.

Browned Butter Crinkles

2 sticks butter, softened
1 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
3 egg yolks
1 ½ teaspoon soda
1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/3 cups flour

Beat the butter and sugar together. Add the egg yolks and salt. Then add the soda and the extract. Fold in the flour. Stir until combined. Form balls the size of walnuts. Chill dough balls for 1 hour in the refrigerator. Dip the top in sugar. Press flat with the bottom of a glass and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350° F for 8-10 minutes until the edges are lightly golden. Remove from oven and let the cookies stand for 1 minute on the cookie sheet. Remove to a wire rack and cool completely. Frost with browned butter frosting.

Browned Butter Frosting 
1 stick butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups powdered sugar
½ cup heavy cream or more desired consistency

In a small skillet, brown butter over medium heat until golden brown flecks appear. Butter will become a little foamy. Stir now and then to make the butter cooks evenly. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Add powdered sugar, vanilla and cream. Beat on medium high until a creamy texture to your liking forms. Spread onto cooled butter crinkles.


Look at those delicious flecks of browned butter in the frosting.


7 comments:

Richard Cottrell said...

Oh how I wish I had a stack of those cookies. happy Valentines Day. Richard from My Old Historic House.

Lyndsay Wells said...

I have been craving a good homemade cookie lately. These look perfect. Am making them this afternoon!

Gone-ta-pott said...

I must say this frosting looks yummie. You and my sister-in-law would get along great because she can't bake a cookie without spreading it with frosting. Doesn't matter what kind of cookie it is... before the day is over she had spread them all with frosting.

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

I LOVE frosting on cookies & browned butter...oh my gosh!!

Jenn said...

I have made these before - they are amazing!

Deana said...

Amazing....these look so good I'm glade I found your blog @1929 charmer link party:)

cathy@my1929charmer said...

Looks so yummy. Never had frosting on cookies before but that might change. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday's Best.