Sunday, February 12, 2012

My Design Muse


I love this picture.  I spotted in it the window of Tuesday Morning years ago and had to have it.  It spoke to me.  I can’t say that about a lot of things, but this thing certainly did.  I had no place to hang it, so hung it on an existing nail over my desk where I could see it every day.  From there it made its way above the bed in our bedroom where I continued to love it, and now it will take its place over the fireplace in our new home.  It is around this picture that I am designing an entire room. There is just something about it, something Old World, exotic, posing questions, tempting exploration, and urging travel that keeps me loving it even to this day.

I’ve never designed a room around a picture before, so it is presenting a bit of a challenge.  Coming from a house where every room is bold in color, I’m ready to embrace the quietude of neutrals: rich chocolate, pale amber, serene green.

The paint will be Benjamin Moore’s Palm Desert Tan.  I chose by color and not by name, but I find it quite fitting.  It looks beautiful behind the picture, goes perfectly with the carpeting, and nicely compliments the sofa and few accessories that I have chosen thus far.



In my old age I went for sturdy and practical in the sofa.  I’ve recently been watching Nate who strongly suggests people buy sofas with no pattern.  So true.  Take it from one who bought floral furniture ten years ago that if you do, you will live to regret it, and grow to hate its limitations.  Think of the many ways in which I can change up this sofa over time.  It will go with pale blue, sage green, yellow, tan, turquoise, earth tones, sea tones, prairie tones, the combinations are endless.


This trunk will serve as the coffee table.  It is 36 x 20 x 20.  It will store a plethora of goods and not be so room dominating as to have people doing the crab walk just to navigate around the thing. (Yes, yet another lesson learned.)


The rug that you all helped me to choose here has arrived (I did go with #2 and couldn’t be happier), is in place, and waiting patiently for the table and chairs.  I’ll keep you posted.


This post is linked to:

5 comments:

Snap said...

I love what you are doing with your room. I love the picture you found at Tuesday Morning (what would we do without TM?!) and that you are using it for your inspiration ... very old world cozy!!!

Maureen Hayes said...

First off, lovely picture and nice inspiration to use as a jumping off point! Secondly, I love Nate and watch him everyday. I too learned the neutral sofa rule the hard way and I love your choice. All the pieces are coming together nicely and it will be a beautiful, peaceful room. I hope you have many happy years there.

Robin said...

Love that sofa! I am a big fan of the style that picture evokes and I think you will be very happy with that style. Where did you find that fabric? Just perfect! I am looking forward to seeing more!

Robin
Robin Flies South

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Fabric? Do you mean the rug (with the leaves)? It came from La-Z-Boy along with the sofa. They have some amazingly nice rugs and accessories.

Janet Rudolph said...

Love the inspiration. Great room to follow..