Monday, July 9, 2012

Curried Chicken Salad in Papaya Boats

 I am completely sold on the honey mustard marinade for chicken as used in the recipe here; I don’t think I’ve ever tasted a boneless breast of chicken that was more moist or flavorful.  So much so that I used the remainder to marinate the lone chicken breast that I had left in the fridge, then seared it, roasted it, and used it for chicken salad.  It’s too hot for a heavy meal, so chicken salad was just the ticket, made even more summery with the inclusion of little balls of papaya and served in a papaya half.

Curried Chicken Salad in Papaya Boats

1 large breast of chicken, cooked, cooled, and diced
1/3 cup chopped celery
1 scallion, diced (white and green parts)
¼ cup slivered almonds, toasted
1 tablespoon golden raisins
¼ cup mayonnaise
½ teaspoon curry powder

1 medium strawberry papaya (I used Melissa's)

Place first five ingredients into a medium bowl and toss together until well mixed; set aside.  Halve papaya, scoop out center seeds; discard.  Using a small melon baller, scoop out inner portion making small melon balls, while hollowing out a larger spot in the center in which to mound the chicken salad.  Put melon balls on top of chicken mixture, and lightly mix in.  In a small bowl, stir together curry power and mayonnaise.  Pour mayonnaise mixture over chicken mixture and fold together until well combined.  It may seem a bit dry at first, but the juice from the inclusion of the papaya will moisten the mixture, giving it a nice creamy texture, so don’t overdo on the mayonnaise.

Scoop chicken salad into payapa boats and season with salt and pepper to taste.

                                              Serves 2.    



This post is linked to:

4 comments:

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

I may make this TONIGHT!!! Thanks

Carole said...

Super idea. I wish you could link this up to my Food on Friday: Chicken!

I found you on Stone Gable's On the Menu Monday. I have linked in bacon and scrambled egg rolls. Have a nice week.

Tracy's Living Cookbook said...

What a lovely looking salad! I love the idea of the papaya bowl.

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Oh goodness, I'm honored that you liked my salmon dish, of course, you been such a CHEF!! I'm loving this post, it's so pretty, delsh looking and inviting. So lcky you have a gift certificate..there you go girl! I always saw them too and was even afraid to buy one, or do anything, didn't have any idea, til I saw it on the Gourmet Channel on some chef and thought it was awesome, even for weight lose, lol..Hugs,
FABBY