Monday, July 23, 2012

Ham Crepes with Sage-Infused Béchamel


Remember when crepes were all the rage?  Am I dating myself?  It seems as if there used to be a crepe restaurant in every large shopping mall.  Personally, I liked them.  I liked that they could be sweet or savory, light or heavy (depending upon the season),  and work for any meal of the day.  I showed you a quick and tasty breakfast using crepes here, and now I’m going to share a delicious recipe that works for brunch, lunch, or dinner.  Using already prepared crepes makes this a snap, plus it’s very forgiving, so feel free to change or add seasonings to suit your tastes.

Ham Crepes with Sage-Infused Béchamel

10 ounces ground, cooked ham (I used a thick slice of Virginia baked ham and ground it myself)
1 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons minced scallions
½ teaspoon Dijon mustard (or more, to taste)
Freshly ground pepper
Béchamel Sauce (recipe follows)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9 x 13 casserole dish with Pam; set aside.  Mix ham, sour cream, scallions, mustard and pepper until well blended. Divide mixture evenly between 6 crepes.  Carefully roll up crepes (directions on rolling crepes can be found here) and place seam side down in prepared dish.  Bake 30 minutes or until lightly browned.  While crepes are baking, prepare sauce.  Place 1-2 crepes on each serving plate, spoon warm sauce over and garnish with sage leaves.

Béchamel Sauce
2 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons flour
¾ cup whole milk
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
4 fresh sage leaves

Melt butter in a heavy saucepan.  Add sage leaves and sauté for 1 minute.  Stir in flour and blend thoroughly until flour is fully incorporated.  Gradually whisk in milk and continue to whisk over moderate heat until sauce is smooth and thickened.  Remove sage leaves; add salt and nutmeg.  Whisk again and remove from heat.  Makes 1 cup.

5 comments:

Lisa Boyle said...

I love crepes! This looks delicious! Thanks so much for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday."

Mich - Piece of Cake said...

This is a very versatile type of lunch/dinner and simple. Love this kind of simple meals which are fuss-free and east to prepare.

~~louise~~ said...

Oh my, I just left the Baked Eggs in Cups and saw this tempting recipe. Now I'm so confused. I may just need to make them both, lol...

Thanks for sharing...

P.S. I'm not even looking at that French Toast I see peeking at me, lol...

Sandy Eigo said...

I'm a crepe fanatic but I have to say I've never had one with ham before. I'm really excited to give this a go since I love both ham and crepes!

Carole said...

That bechamel looks great. Thanks for linking this in to Food on Friday. Cheers