Monday, December 15, 2014

How to Make Candy Cane Vodka

I am a fan of minty deliciousness, so when I saw a post on the Home is Where the Boat Is blog on how to make candy cane vodka, I had to give it a try. Now I am not a vodka fan, per se. People like to assert that vodka has no taste, but it definitely does have a taste. If you've done any traveling out of your immediate surroundings then you have become aware that even water has a taste, so vodka certainly does as well, and not a particularly good one from my standpoint. So, in my opinion, flavored vodkas are genius.

This is a fun little project. It is also unbelievably easy, immensely practical, and a great little seasonal gift.
A clean, empty bottle, box of candy canes, and bottle of vodka is all that you need. 
I used an 8-ounce spring top bottle and about a dozen miniature candy canes.  You can use fewer candy canes if you want a more subtle taste. The dissolution process takes about three hours. 
I watched intently for the first twenty minutes or so as the candy canes began to dissolve, creating a bit of a head at the top of the bottle in the process. 
Thereafter I'd give the bottle a bit of a shake every half hour or so. 
That is all you do. No straining. No nothing. 

Just tie on a tag and add it to your gift basket, take it to a deserving host or hostess, or do what I did, pour some into a steaming cup of hot cocoa. Marvelous!

This post is linked to:

4 comments:

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

A tasty treat to add to a mug of hot chocolate!
Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday.

Mary said...

Pattie, This is a fun a project and gift for making spirits bright...*hiccup* :) Yours turned out to be a beautiful Christmas color, mine was more orange. I didn't realize til after I made it that there are varying shades of candy canes. Wishing you a Merry Christmas!

Rattlebridge Farm said...

Outstanding photography, and a "keeper" recipe and DIY idea. I'm saving (and will savour) this one. Merry Christmas!!!

Veronica P said...

What a excellent idea and your pictures are fantastic. I hoped on over from the chicken chic! My mother in law will love this present. Thanks for the mother in law brownie points. Lol