Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Fava Bean and Cherry Tomato Salad



When I was a kid and would attend summer get-togethers such as barbecues, picnics, and pot lucks, invariably someone would put out a bean salad. Whenever I saw this salad I would run. Seriously. Sometimes I would even hide. Back then beans frightened me. Truth be told, up until a couple of years ago, they still did. Then something changed, I decided to befriend them, and what I discovered is that, aside from being loaded with protein and packed with nutrition, they made for a darned tasty salad. (If you missed my delicious Chickpea, Avocado, and Feta Salad, you can find that recipe here.)

Today I offer you an equally delicious, and even easier salad than my last, in this recipe that I conveniently found on the back of the box of Melissa's Peeled and Steamed Fava Beans. It took no time to put this together, thanks to the steaming and shelling having been done by Melissa's, and made for a great lunch. It stores well overnight in the fridge, further enhancing the flavor, and made perfect little side salads at dinner the next day. Because there is nothing to spoil in this combination of ingredients, give this a try at some of your summer gatherings. The colors are eye catching, and the taste will have them coming back for more. Need I remind you that fava beans are very high in protein, and offer other health benefits in the form of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and plant-sterols? I didn't think so. You already knew that.


Fava Bean and Cherry Tomato Salad

1 package 
Melissa’s Steamed Fava Beans
½ sweet onion – peeled; sliced very thin
½ pint cherry tomatoes, halved
Juice of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
Kosher Salt 
Freshly Ground Black Pepper

In a medium bowl, combine the fava beans, onion, and tomatoes; set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, cumin and chervil. While whisking, drizzle in the olive oil. Pour the mixture over the fava beans, toss, season with salt and pepper and serve. Makes about 2 servings.
This post is linked to:

3 comments:

Marigene said...

Yummy, I hope I can find fava beans in my area...it really is the middle of nowhere. Awesome photos!

Cathy said...

How much olive oil? That ingredient is not listed.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

That's a good question, Cathy. I looked at the recipe from Melissa's and they gave no indication. All I can tell you is that I tend to just drizzle it on until everything is covered to my liking. I don't like a lot of oil, so my guess is that a tablespoon would be fine.