Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Sidecar



Do any of you watch Blue Bloods? I love that show. And before you get any ideas, it is not because I was such a huge Magnum, P.I. fan and I watch it exclusively to look at Tom Selleck. Well, it's not entirely like that. Anyway, the other day I was watching an old episode called Manhattan Queens where Danny (Donnie Wahlberg, who also directed) investigates the murder of a drag queen named Tiffany Lamp.  Tiffany, it seemed, liked her cocktails and drank, exclusively, Sidecars.

While I had heard the name, I really wasn't familiar with the Sidecar, so I did a little investigating. The Ritz Hotel in Paris claims origin of the drink, with the first recipes appearing in 1922. (Can you imagine what Paris was like in 1922? Ooh, la la!) It sounded très chic, so I had to give it a try and use one of my vintage cocktail glasses, because I was feeling extra fancy, and I felt oh, so sophisticated when I drank it. It's boozy, but boy is it good. I'm going to have to work on coming up with some pretty fancy appetizers, excuse me, canapés, to enjoy with this one.

Bottoms up!

Sidecar
Serves 1

1 ounce freshly squeezed Meyer lemon Juice*
1 ounce triple sec
2 ounces Cognac or brandy
Sugar
Maraschino cherry

After squeezing the lemon, rub the lemon over the rim of the cocktail glass and dip it into sugar to coat; chill glass.

In a cocktail shaker** with ice pour lemon juice, triple sec, and brandy. Cap off and shake well.  Strain into chilled sugar-rimmed glass.  Drop a cherry into the bottom and serve.

*Please use organic fruit in all of your recipes.  I recommend Melissa’s Organic Meyer Lemons.

**If you don’t happen to have a cocktail shaker, or, like me, you have one, but have no clue as to its location, a Mason jar works just fine.


This post is linked to:



5 comments:

Unknown said...

This is one of my all time favorites.
If I order it in a restaurant and the bar tender is uncertain, I cancel the order. Badly made, they are a disappointment (or worse). Although, as straight forward as the recipe is, I don't understand why it's a challenge for some bar tenders.

Marigene said...

When I was very young I thought a sidecar sounded sophisticated...so I ordered one and found out it was best I stick to something sweet, like amaretto and orange juice! I have to say I am still not keen on brandy or cognac.

Tea in the Library said...

I can just imagine Captain Hasting ordering one, can't you? Or some glamorous Young Thing with a cigarette holder in one hand and a Sidecar in the other. Fun post!

Kristin O said...

This sounds yummy!! I have never heard of a Sidecar before. I wish there were more bars that served "vintage" drinks rather than your typical martinis and other cocktails. I'm always looking for something new. My SIL just left a whole bottle of brandy at my house and I had no idea what I was going to use it for. Now I do!! I have a link up going on now and every Thursday called Thursty Thursday. I would love it if you stopped by and linked this up!! hopelesslyeverafter.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I worked behind the bar at a fine-dining establishment and Sidecars were a favorite drink. They are great for sipping, and the clients would sit around for hours enjoying their drinks and the company. I loved it.