Saturday, April 11, 2015

Salsa Verde



Is it too early to start thinking about Cinco de Mayo?  I think not! Particularly when you are hard at work perfecting your salsas. I think I've done it with my latest, and greatest, version of salsa verde. At least it would seem so since I am eating it on absolutely everything (even at breakfast where it has twice graced the top of a poached egg), and have to stop myself from just eating it, spoonful by spoonful, right out of the bowl. In fact, I was so excited about just how good this is that I decided I must make room in my deck container garden for a pot of tomatillos, perhaps near the potted jalapenos; I can see now that I'm going to be using a lot of these! You may have your favorite jarred salsa verde, but nothing, and I mean nothing, can beat the taste of homemade, particularly when the tomatillos are roasted.

This was a tricky recipe to compose. Essentially, it is just grab and dump when it comes to ingredients, adding more as you taste until it reaches flavor perfection. As taste is subjective, what appeals to me, may not particularly appeal to you. If you don't care for cilantro, eliminate it. Try some parsley in its place. If you like less heat, seed the jalapeno.  If you like more heat, use two. The recipe below reflects what I did. Feel free to experiment.

Salsa Verde

2 pounds fresh Melissa's tomatillos, husks removed
3 small cloves garlic, peeled
1 large jalapeno
1 small bunch cilantro
1/3 cup chopped scallions
1/4 teaspoon cumin
Juice of half of a lime
1/4 cup
chicken stock
Salt, to taste

To roast tomatillos, preheat your broiler, line a rimmed cookie sheet with foil and place the tomatillos on top. Place as near to the broiler as your oven shelves will allow and roast until charred. Flip over to the other side and char. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. You can roast the jalapeno along with the tomatillos, but watch it as it may roast more quickly. Do not remove the charred bits, they add flavor to the salsa.

Place tomatillos, jalapeno, garlic, cilantro, scallions, cumin, and lime juice in the work bowl of a food processor or blender. Pulse until saucy. Remove to a bowl and stir in stock until it reaches desired consistency. Salt to taste.

4 comments:

Mimi said...

Hi Pattie. Your last two recipes shared at Five Star Frugal both found their way into my repertoire. This looks like another great candidate. Will you share with us again? Mimi xxx

Benita said...

Pattie, Thank you so much for visiting my blog today! Oh, that crate of yours will be wonderful for fall, especially with some little white pumpkins! I love this recipe and will be adding it to my collection! Have a great evening!!

chateau chic said...

This looks so good!!
Thank you for stopping by for a visit.
Mary Alice

bj said...

We do love homemade salsa and yours sounds amazing.