Sunday, May 17, 2015

Carrot-Walnut Loaf Cake



Breakfast is a tough meal for me. I want something tasty, varied, with a modicum of nutrition, that pairs well with coffee, and I want it NOW!  The last, I mean the very last thing that I want to do the first thing in the morning is cook. Cold cereal, with the exception of my homemade granola, leaves me, well, cold, so I tend to gravitate toward something make ahead. When I spotted this recipe in the current issue of Bon Appetit, and knowing it was a special request recipe (although recent experience with that had me wary, more about that tomorrow), I decided to give it a try. This is a winner! A recipe from the acclaimed Breads Bakery in New York, the creator says that if you only have an 8½"x4½" pan, theres no need to go out and get a new one. Simply hold back about 1¾ cups batter for laterit makes a mean waffle! Can you imagine?! If only I had the wrong size pan I'd be enjoying this as a waffle, but no matter. It is a subtly spicy, slightly sweet, incredibly moist, addicting mouthful that is deliciously satisfying. I think I'll have another slice.
Carrot-Walnut Loaf Cake
From Breads Bakery by way of Bon Appetit

1 cup vegetable oil, plus more
1¼ cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour; plus more
1½ teaspoons baking powder
1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ cup golden raisins
½ cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
3 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
8 ounces carrots, coarsely grated (about 2 cups)*
2 teaspoons light brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil and flour a 9x5" loaf pan. Whisk baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and 1 ¼ cups flour in a small bowl. Toss raisins, walnuts, and remaining 1 Tbsp. flour in another bowl.

Using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat eggs and granulated sugar in a medium bowl until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. With mixer running, gradually drizzle in 1 cup oil, then add vanilla. Fold in dry ingredients, raisin mixture, and carrots; scrape batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with brown sugar.
Bake cake until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 65–75 minutes. Let cool slightly in pan, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Do Ahead: Bake up to 2 days ahead. Store wrapped at room temperature.

SERVINGS: MAKES ONE 9X5" LOAF

*Here's a tip from me. Even though it is more trouble, grate your carrots by hand. Grating them in a food processor, though convenient, tends to extract juices leaving the carrots drier than need be. Never buy bagged grated carrots to use for baking. They are way too dry to be able to enhance any baked good.
This post is linked to:

3 comments:

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

This looks amazing and I know that it will be wonderful. Thanks so much for sharing.
Have a great week.
Mary

Linda said...

Great tip on the carrots! I've been craving carrot cake and this would give me a good substitute for it - plus I can eat it for breakfast. ;)
Looking forward to hearing about the special request. :)

Doreen@foxdenrd said...

I feel exactly the same way about breakfast. Most of the time I have oatmeal, but that gets boring. Thank you for sharing this perfect alternative.