Friday, May 29, 2015

Inside-Out Ravioli



Rummaging through my mother's recipe box, I came across this old recipe for what I remember being a ‘70s favorite. I remember eating and enjoying this many times in the seventies, and then came eighties, and we never had it again. I have no explanation for this phenomenon except to provide my own excuse for doing pretty much the same with some of my favorites. There are just so many recipes, from so many sources, and so little time to try them all, that, in the doing, the old ones often get cast aside.

Here is the recipe written in my mother’s handwriting.  Apparently she got if from her friend, June, and my guess is that it was something that June served at one of their many bridge luncheons.

It was clearly written in haste because there is no indication here as to when to add the meat! I struggled with this a bit, and incorrectly added the spinach to the sauce/spinach liquid mixture, but it came out fine all the same. I also added a lot of my own ingredients (reflected in the parentheses in the written version below).  Both my dad and Mr. O-P really enjoyed this one. 

The directions state to make it in a 9” x 13” pan, but I made it in two-serving casserole dishes, so a number of servings went into the freezer to be enjoyed at a later date.
It’s a bit more work than the average casserole, but well worth it, which is why it’s my Casserole of the Month!

Inside-Out Ravioli

1 pound ground chuck
(1/2 pound Italian sausage)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 10-oz. package frozen, chopped spinach
(1/2 cup pitted black olives, sliced)
(1/2 cup, loosely packed pepperoni, cut in slivers)
1 lb. jar Chef Boyardee Spaghetti Sauce with mushrooms (I used Paul Newman's Sockarooni
®, about 3/4 of the jar)
8 oz. can tomato sauce
6 oz. can tomato paste
1/2 tsp. salt
Dash pepper
2 cups (7 oz. pkg.) uncooked Creamettes
® elbow macaroni, prepared according to pkg. directions
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup soft bread crumbs (I used Italian bread crumbs)
2 well beaten eggs (I used extra-large)
1/4 cup salad oil (I used canola)

Brown meat and onion; drain.

Cook spinach according to package directions. Drain well, reserving liquid. Add water to drained spinach liquid to make one cup.

Stir spinach liquid (just the liquid not the spinach, as I did, sigh) and next seven ingredients together until blended, add meat mixture, and simmer over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.

Combine spinach with macaroni, cheese, crumbs, eggs, and salad oil. Spread macaroni mixture into a 9
x 13 baking dish. Top with meat sauce (and additional cheese, if desired).

Bake at 350
ยบF for 30 minutes until hot and bubbly along the sides. Let stand 10 minutes after removing from the oven.

Can be made a day ahead, and freezes beautifully.
This post is linked to:

3 comments:

Linda said...

Looks delicious and the recipe is very much like something Mom used to make. I love that you added the photo of your Mom's original recipe. My Mom and her friends always used to put brand names of foods in their recipes, and it's fun to look back at things that I can't find today, such as Old English "shredded" cheese which I think is only available as a spread now.

Rattlebridge Farm said...

I've experienced the same phenomena. Stellar recipes are made and enjoyed, only to disappear, and I can't explain why. I'm so glad you found your mother's recipe--I can just imagine the steam rising up from the casserole and the hearty aromas. Have a great weekend!

thepaintedapron.com said...

Bounds like perfect comfort food to me Patti! I've noticed a lot of retro recipes making a comeback lately
Jenna