Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Cheeseburger Casserole



Anyone who knows me knows just how much I love cheeseburgers. I could, seriously, eat one once a week, if not more. (Toss in a side of chili cheese fries, and I am your slave!) So, when I saw this recipe from Paula Deen, I just had to try it. I changed it up a bit (reflected below) by adding some minced garlic, steak seasoning, and fewer noodles. This is not company fare by any means, but it is, as Mr. O-P put it when reaching for his second helping, “Good comfort food.”  It is indeed.

Cheeseburger Casserole

1 lb. ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
½ teaspoon minced garlic
1 green pepper, chopped
1 (28 oz.) can chopped tomatoes, with juice*
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
½ teaspoon Montreal Steak Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon pepper
5-6 oz. medium egg noodles
2 cups good quality (I used Tillamook) sharp cheddar cheese, grated

. Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a large skillet, cook the ground beef over medium heat, breaking up the lumps as you go, until meat is evenly browned. Drain off the fat. Add the onion and the green pepper, and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic; cook 1 minute more. Add the tomatoes, with juice, Worcestershire sauce, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt, steak seasoning, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to low. Simmer the mixture for about 15 minutes.

Fill medium pot half full of water. Add 1 teaspoon salt. Bring the water to a boil. Stir in the noodles and boil for about 6-7 minutes, until tender. Drain the noodles, return the noodles to the pot. Pour the tomato mixture over the noodles and stir until blended.

Put the noodle mixture into a baking dish that you have sprayed with cooking spray. Top with cheese. Bake for about 15-20 minutes, until the cheese is melted, and edges are bubbly. Enjoy it as a family meal, then refrigerate the leftovers.

*The next time I make this, and I will, I think I’ll use tomato puree.
This post is linked to:

5 comments:

Linda said...

This is indeed comfort food - or man food as I sometimes call it. It sounds very much like one of my husband's favorite dishes, which we incorrectly call "goulash". Like you I prefer it made with tomato puree or sauce instead of the chunks. ;)

Marigene said...

This is definitely my kind of comfort food. Never thought of putting in Montreal Steak Seasoning, great idea.
Have a wonderful week...and try to stay cool, it's heating up again, starting tomorrow!

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

I would love this dish also - sounds yummy. I love all the Montreal Seasonings. The chicken and hamburger ones are great too.
Have a great week.
Mary

NewMrsAdventures said...

I love a good casserole and this one looks perfect! Thank you so much for linking up at Tasty Tuesday! This post has been pinned on the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board! I love having you and can't wait to see you next week!

Erlene said...

With four kids, we eat a lot of pasta dishes. This has all the flavors that the kids like and I know they would enjoy this. Thanks for sharing on Merry Monday.