Saturday, July 11, 2015

French Breakfast Puffs



Earlier in the week I was invited to a Wine and Cheese “Do” at the (stunningly exquisite, makes me want to spit on my place) home of one of the ladies in the neighborhood. We were all invited to bring somethingor notand most of the women who did (all of them, I think, we are nothing if not a very generous, social group), to be enjoyed at the gathering. I went a different route, knowing full well how tiring hosting can be, so presented my hostess with a gift bag of French Breakfast Puffs. It had been a long while since I last made them. Seven years, I think.  The reason for my lapse is that a dear friend used to love them, so every time we paid her and her husband a visit, I took her some. When she passed away, seven years ago, my habit of making them stopped.

It was time, I thought, to reintroduce these into my repertoire of breakfast and brunch goodies, so I baked up a batch. I had forgotten just how good these are. They have a delightfully delicate crumb, a wonderful hint of nutmeg, and are completely covered with just the right amount of cinnamon and sugar. They don’t keep so you’ll have to eat them within two days or pop them into the freezer.


French Breakfast Puffs

 ½ cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup shortening (I used Crisco)
1 extra-large egg
1-1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
\1/2 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
½ cup whole milk
\
½ cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
6 tablespoons butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350ยบF.

Spray a 12-well muffin pan with Pam (or other vegetable-based non-stick spray).
 
In the work bowl of a mixer, cream together the first ½ cup sugar, the shortening, and the egg.

Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg.

Add dry mixture to creamed mixture, alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.

Fill muffin tins 2/3 full, and bake for 20-25 minutes.

Remove from oven and immediately dip in butter on all sides, and roll in cinnamon-sugar mixture.  Serve warm.

Makes 12 puffs.
This post is linked to:

6 comments:

Linda said...

Lucky neighbor! They look light and delicious. I made a similar mini muffin for my grandkids, and it is still a family favorite. Mine involves your dreaded vegetable oil, but I usually use melted butter instead. ;)

Your story reminded me of a brunch my husband and I attended a few years ago. It was at the home of a billionaire in Houston (her parents went to our church), and I took her some of these in a little basket. I think I was the only one that brought a gift, and she seemed very touched at the homemade gesture. Billionaires - they're just like us - lol!

thepaintedapron.com said...

How incredibly thoughtful and smart! These look simple divine, I am pinning this to try soon!!
Jenna

Marigene said...

I want to be your neighbor, Pattie! Those are very much like the Cottage Street Dirt Bombs that I have been making for several years...OMG, they are so delicious. Think me wants to head into the kitchen and start baking!
Have a great week.

bj said...

ahhh...you are a gal after my own heart...I've made these before and we loved them. I think, also, we've deep fried biscuit dough for something very much like these...but not as tasty as yours must be.

Chloe Crabtree said...

This is one of those amazing things I wish I hadn't come upon at 9:30 at night. I want to eat this NOW! These sound absolutely heavenly! I am sure your hostess was impressed, and I am sure her home is not that much more impressive than yours! I love your sense of humor in your writing, and it makes me so happy that you have such a wonderful group of friends to get together. Thank you so much for sharing over at Celebrate it Sunday!

Sarah said...

Wow, will have to make these! Thanks!
Thank you for stopping by to visit my Alice posts. Yes, the HRC is an amazing resource. I appreciate the excellent exhibits they offer. Glad you had the experience of living in Austin. What did you think?