Wednesday, July 1, 2015

A Literary Luncheon



For those of us who spend a lot of time tablescaping(and I know that this is not for everyone), I find it to be very revealing. This rather practical art form offers such amazing glimpses of personalities. When I see things on other people's tables that I own myself, it always makes me smile. Oh, the things we would have to talk about, and notes we could compare! 
I like to keep the dining room table set at all times. It is one of the first things that I see upon rising in the morning, and it always makes me smile. Last week I decided to re-read an old Agatha Christie favorite, the Hercule Poirot mystery, Death on the Nile. As I closed the book I wondered what a visual representation of this would look like on the dining table. Here is the result. I like it. 
I keep threatening to organize a book club in my neighborhood (hang on, ladies, eventually!) and thought about what fun it would be to set a table reflecting whatever book had been read. I think this is going to open up a whole new tablescaping world for me.  I hope you'll come along for the ride, beginning here.
I can't say exactly why I chose what I did for this table. It was more of a feeling than anything finite. I wanted pattern over color, with neutrals and a pop of green. The centerpiece is actually one of the vignettes from atop the living room mantle over the fireplace.
 

This napkin fold is called Fleur de Lis. I absolutely love it for its ease of assembly and the very elegant way that it looks. With his Belgian background, I knew that Poirot would approve.
The placemats are some that Mr. O-P picked up.  He had no interest in the pattern, just the flat style because he seems to think that most of my placemats are too lumpy (imagine!).  I loved the pattern, knowing they would look wonderful with these dishes, so commandeered them immediately.
  



Runner – Pottery Barn
Placemats – Tuesday Morning
Round woven placemats – Pier One
Brown dinner plate – Pier One
Leaf salad Plates – Fitx & Floyd
Flatware – Oneida
Crystal - Mikasa

This post is linked to:


 

 


12 comments:

Linda said...

Oh how I'd love to join your future book club! Your table is delightful. Love the colors and the books. I think my favorite things on your table are the gorgeous tiger plate and the Pier One brown plates - love that embossed(?) trim.

I used to leave our table set up (at my husband's request!) with place settings of burgundy magnolia Homer Laughlin china I purchased on eBay years ago. Your comment about how your set table makes you smile made me realize how much I miss seeing it. I may surprise my husband by setting it all up again. ;)

Sarah said...

What a beautiful table! I'd love to join your bookclub! I think setting a table to match the theme of the book is a terrific idea. You should definitely start that bookclub.

Jennifer@MyFlagstaffHome said...

This is so creative and stunning! Thanks for linking up at the Weekend Blog Hop at My Flagstaff Home!

Jennifer

Lori @ Dining Delight said...

I have no idea what that book is about but by the looks of your tablescape, I think I want to read it! Love the colours and textures. Your mister sure picks out nice placemats! I agree that it would be so interesting to get together with fellow tablescapers especially when you see that they own the same items - I have those faux candles which I love!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful and intriguing table setting - I want to join your book club, please! :-) I love Hercule Poirot novels. Found you at What to Do Weekends.

Unknown said...

I had to come see your post! What a delightful tablescape! I love the mix of textures and the lush green. I have just started a bookclub in my neighborhood. We will be meeting for the first time very soon to discuss the book, "Cutting for Stone" (which was fantastic). Most of the story takes place in Ethiopia, so I have been thinking about how I would like to design my tablescape for the first meeting. I love the idea of using texture and greenery. Thanks for the inspiration! I will be sure to post my literary tablescape when I create it.
Best,
Michelle from simplysantabarbara.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Love a beautiful tablescape. So much to catch the eye in this one - so much detail. Thank you!!

Chloe Crabtree said...

What a unique idea for inspiring a tablescape. I usually get my inspiration from a dish or unique piece I can use in a centerpiece, so I find this idea fascinating. Your tablescape is beautiful, especially those lovely dishes with the green leaf on them. Thank you so much for coming by Celebrate and Decorate and sharing your post! I hope you will come back again! It is always wonderful to find a new tablescaper! I have a group tabletop Pinterest board and if you follow it, I would love to invite you to pin to it! By the way, Agatha Christie novels are some of my favorites!

Natasha in Oz said...

What a fabulous tablescape! I might try something similar when I host a dinner for my English teacher colleagues. Thanks for the idea.

Best wishes,
Natasha in Oz

Cat said...

Oh how fun! I love a tablescape with a theme. Thanks for sharing!

Kathy said...

Love this exquisite tablescape - I will be featuring your post in this week's Home and Garden Thursday,
Kathy

Carolyn @ Our Gilded Abode said...

Your tablescape is wonderful! I thought I was the only one whose husband prefers flat and smooth placemats! :) I adore your leaf plates! Thanks so much for sharing!
-Carolyn @ Our Gilded Abode