Sunday, September 13, 2015

Crockpot Barbecue Beef


I'll tell you what, it takes nerves of steel to place a $20 chuck roast (When did these get to be so expensive?) into a crockpot in order to test a recipe that looks good on paper, but may very well not be, but I gathered up all of my strength and did just that. I have been feeding a variety of men of late (and, frankly, I'm sick of it, but that's another story), so was looking for something bothman pleasing, and that I would enjoy. Boy, this recipe was it! Spotted on the Community Table web page, my mouth watered as I read it, and I was hoping to not be disappointed. I wasn't nor were any of the other people who tried it, many of whom groaned in ecstasy with their first bite, and then helped themselves to more. My dad declared it outstanding,and I have to agree.


 Having another winning crockpot recipe just delighted me. This is so easy, and so good. I used a three-pound chuck roast (the largest I could find when shopping, and as much as I wanted to spend anyway) instead of the called for four pounder, and Stubb's brand barbecue sauce in the Mesquite flavor. Also, fearing saltiness, I used low-sodium beef stock.

I served warm potato salad (recipe coming) as a side along with cole slaw from the deli that I put on top of my sandwich. Perfect!
Crockpot Barbecue Beef

1 (4-lb) boneless chuck roast
1 Tablespoon olive oil
3 Tablespoons Grill Mates Smokehouse Maple seasoning
½ cup beef broth
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 cups barbecue sauce
8-10 Kaiser rolls

Spray the inside of a 6-quart oval slow cooker with cooking spray.

In a small bowl, stir together the beef broth and liquid smoke; pour into the bottom of the slow cooker.

Rinse the chuck roast and pat dry with a paper towel. Drizzle with olive oil. Rub the chuck roast on all sides with the Grill Mates seasoning. Center the roast in the slow cooker. Drizzle the top of the roast with Worcestershire sauce.

Cook on low for 7-8 hours until fork tender. Check for doneness at 7 hours using a fork. Remove from the slow cooker and, using 2 forks, pull apart the meat, removing all visible fat.

Discard the cooking liquid reserving ½ cup. Whisk the reserved cooking liquid with 2 cups of your favorite barbecue sauce. Return the pulled beef to the slow cooker. Drizzle with the sauce.

Cook on high for 30 additional minutes until the sauce is bubbly. Serve on Kaiser rolls with a side of cole slaw.


This post is linked to:


3 comments:

Linda said...

Pattie this looks amazing. Looking forward to your tater salad recipe too.
I noticed on your last post you mentioned a "mid-sized crockpot". Maybe you could do a post on your collection. :)

Shanice Bannis said...

Awesome post! I would love to invite you to my new link party The Beautifully Creative Inspired. The party launches every Fridays at 9AM eastern time on 5 BLOGS! It runs until Wednesday night :D Hope you can party with us!

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

Looks yummy!
Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
Blessings,
Cindy