Friday, September 25, 2015

Pattie’s “Secret Ingredient” Carrot Cake



Earlier in the week there was a bit of a mix-up with company. Mr. O-P had told me that our dinner-and-baseball bud was coming on Monday night for dinner and the game, but, as he was leaving to have lunch a friend that morning and I reminded him of this, he said that he wasn't coming Monday night, but the following night.

What?! I cried. Which is it?! I asked him, now wild-eyed and completely perplexed. As he walked out the door, exhibiting a calm that only a man can possess in such a situation, he said that he thought it was tomorrow, but when push came to shove, he really didn't know for sure. Men! Two calls to the friend in question, whom I could not reach, and I still had no idea. I downed two glasses of Sangria, and started in on dinner figuring that we'd surely eat it one night or the other, and opting for dishes that keep.

In keeping with the rather bizarre start to my day, I discovered that I didn't have enough carrots for the carrot cake that I had planned to make, so ended up making half of the recipe and baking it in an 8
X 8"square pan (which explains the rather scrawny piece in the photos). It was delicious, but I do recommend making the full recipe in two round cake pans, slathering it with frosting, and decorating the top with fresh pecan halves.

If you're thinking that all carrot cakes are the same, you're wrong. My secret ingredient is what gives this the extra richness, darker color, and flavor boost. My dad proclaimed it “excellent.” This is the last carrot cake you will ever make. After this one, there is just no reason to try another recipe.

Pattie’s “Secret Ingredient” Carrot Cake

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
¼ cup Nestle’s Quik
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1-1/2 cups canola oil
4 extra-large eggs, beaten to blend
3 cups peeled, grated carrots

Preheat oven to 350ºF.  Grease and flour 2 8” x 8” cake pans; set aside.

In the work bowl of a stand mixer, place flour, sugar, baking soda, Nestle’s Quik, cinnamon, and salt, and whisk to blend. Add oil, eggs, and carrots and beat on medium speed until well blended.  Turn batter equally into prepared pans and bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center tests clean.  Frost when cool (recipe below), and top with pecans.

Cream Cheese Frosting
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, room temperature
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 pound confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

In the work bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy, 3-4 minutes.  With mixer on low, gradually add powdered sugar.  Beat until smooth.  Add vanilla and beat to blend. Frost cake.


This post is linked to:

7 comments:

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I used to make carrot cake all the time and I loved topping it with cinnamon and sugar. I'm sure your secret ingredient gives it a whole new flavor. Looks good...

Mae Travels said...

Nestle's Quick is made of sugar, cocoa, stabilizers, and salt... what would happen if you just used cocoa and slightly more salt & sugar?

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Oh wow, I hope this one takes the place of my famous one, lol!
I think the adding of the Nestlé's Quik is the key. Is it chocolate?
Thanks Patti as always for your great recipes. Although you did half recipe it looks amazing! (I also have a cake recipe on my post)
Have a super weekend my friend.
FABBY

candlelightsupper said...

This recipe looks delicious! I will surely try it. It also seems to be fast and that is what I like.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I tried adding cocoa instead of the Nestle's Quik (which is a chocolate milk maker, Fabby), Mae, but it gives it a cocoa taste. The cake is sweet enough, so I wouldn't add additional sugar. I don't know what it is about the Quik, but it works!

Winnie said...

Fantastic cake, and I love the recipe :)

Stacey said...

Smart!! I thought it might be molasses when I noticed the darker color of the cake. I'm all about chocolate added to something.