Monday, June 6, 2016

Chicken Lombardy


Chicken Lombardy is not new. It fact, it is a dish that I have been having for years, but it is also one that I tend to forget about. This past weekend when a friend of ours, named Lombardi, gave us a call, I decided it was worth a revisit.

  I’d forgotten how quick and easy this is to put together. I seasoned the flour with lots of things, like paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and ample amounts of pepper, to give it lots of flavor. I served mine with fettuccini because I was out of thin spaghetti, although I far prefer the latter. Start your pasta water while you’re browning the chicken, and drop the pasta in when you slide the chicken dish into the oven. This way everything will be ready at the same time. This is a lovely, company worthy meal that is quick, easy, and stress-free.
Chicken Lombardy
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
½ cup flour
½ cup butter
1 cup sliced mushrooms
¾ cup Marsala wine
½ cup chicken broth
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
¼ cup chopped scallions

Preheat oven to 450°F. Lightly grease a 1-1/2 quart baking dish; set aside.

Place chicken between 2 sheets wax paper. With a heavy mallet or rolling pin, flatten each breast to a thickness of ¼”.

Season flour and place on a dinner plate. Dredge each chicken breast until completely coated, shaking off excess.

In a 10” sauté pan over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Sauté breasts on both sides until golden brown (3-4 minutes). Do not crowd pan. Melt additional butter and repeat process if you have more chicken to brown.

Remove browned chicken to your prepared baking dish, overlapping edges of chicken. In the same pan you used to brown the chicken, sauté the mushrooms in the remaining 1/4 cup butter.

Sprinkle mushrooms evenly over chicken.

Stir wine, chicken broth, salt, and pepper into pan drippings in skillet. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 6-8 minutes stirring occasionally. Spoon sauce evenly over chicken. Top with scallions and cheeses, and bake 15-20 minutes until bubbly.

Serve over rice or pasta with additional sauce spooned on top.


 This post is linked to:
Merry Monday

4 comments:

Doreen@foxdenrd said...

This recipe contains nothing I don't like. For sure I'll be making this one!

XXX

Marigene said...

This sounds delicious, Pattie...don't think I have ever had it. I thought I had Marsala, but looked at only could find Madeira and Cream Sherry. Guess I could sub the Madeira.
Hope you are having a good week.

candlelightsupper said...

This recipe looks amazing. I will surely try it! Thanks for sharing.

The Lazy Gastronome said...

oh my. I want this now. Makes what I'm making for dinner look blah!! Thanks for sharing on the What's for Dinner link up!