Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Filet Mignon with Mushroom Sauce

With Mr. O-P in the hospital this week with some serious ills, life has been difficult. There is not much time for cooking, but there is time for special and nourishing meals. In challenging times, it is important to treat yourself well, and maintain some type of routine if only in the ritual of cooking dinner.

This looks pretty fancy, I know, but it is really quite simple to prepare. We had some filets in the freezer, so I was sure to take one out and move it to the fridge the night before so it would be ready when I was. I kept the amount of sauce the same (which is really minimal, at best) even though just making one steak. If you are making this for two, you may just want to double it.

After patting it dry as per the recipe, I let it set on the counter for about fifteen minutes to get the chill off. The entire process took less time than the 45 minutes predicted, and I had a lovely, delicious, and nourishing meal for one. Few dishes are easier or more special than this one. I know that everyone has his or her burdens. Treat yourself well. Always. It makes a world of difference.
Filet Mignon with Mushroom Sauce
From epicurious.com

 1 slice bacon

1 small garlic clove, mashed to a paste

1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter

6 white mushrooms (about 1/4 pound), sliced thin

2 tablespoons Cognac or other brandy

2 tablespoons water

2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves

2 filet mignons, each about 1 inch thick

In an 8-inch skillet, preferable cast-iron, cook bacon over moderate heat until crisp and transfer to paper towels to drain. Pour off excess fat from skillet. Crumble bacon and reserve.

In skillet cook garlic in 1 tablespoon butter over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened. Add mushrooms and salt and pepper to taste and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until liquid from mushrooms starts to evaporate. Add Cognac or other brandy and boil until nearly evaporated. Stir in water, lemon juice, and Worcestershire sauce and boil until sauce is thickened slightly. Transfer sauce to a small saucepan and stir in reserved bacon and parsley. Keep sauce warm.

Pat filets mignons dry with paper towels and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. In skillet heat remaining 1/2 tablespoon butter over moderately high heat until foam begins to subside and sauté filets mignons 4 minutes. Sear sides slightly and turn filets over. Sauté 3 to 3 1/2 minutes more for medium-rare meat. Divide filets between 2 plates and spoon sauce over them.
 This post is linked to:

8 comments:

Doreen@foxdenrd said...

You're right, we must always treat ourselves well. I hope your burdens are soon lifted, and the dinner for one can once again become 'dinner for two'.

xxx

jmac said...

Oh girrrrl! So funny....my DIL has been in hospital. I've been keeping her 6 & 3 yr ol. 🙄 I am beyond exhausted. Last Saturday nite when she came home, my husband fixed this exact same meal! Including mushrooms...if I'd photographed it, would be mirror image of yours! I swear I sat at the table at least 20 min longer than anyone else relishing in my fillet!!!! I needed it so bad. I called it my lil plate of therapy!!!
You and I should enjoy a meal together...our tastes seem to be the same!!! Hope all is ok in ur world

Marigene said...

I am not a big beef eater, but that steak sure looks good, done to perfection! Prayers to you and Jim.

~~louise~~ said...

Hi Pattie:)
It gladdens me to know you are thinking about yourself, at least for a few minutes, to enjoy a nourishing dinner. Sometimes caregivers forget to replenish themselves which in it self can make matters more chaotic.

Marion and I will keep you and yours in our prayers. Stay well, Pattie...

Deborah Lacy said...

Sending best wishes to both you and Mr. O-P. And love that sauce recipe!

Unknown said...

Sending prayers that he is feeling better today and on the mend.

This looks delicious!

jmac said...

worried about you...not like you to go this many days without a post.
hope all is well in your world...

Miz Helen said...

What a great offering for a great Fathers Day, this looks fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and come back to see us real soon!
Miz Helen