Sunday, October 30, 2016

Deviled Spider Eggs

People will often ask me where I get the inspiration for blog posts. After nearly six years of blogging and close to 2,000 posts, that's a very good question. The answer is easy: everywhere!
Today's brief bit was inspired by, of all things, the cover of this mystery novel by Blair Merrin. Once I saw these darling little "spider eggs" on the cover I just knew I had to give them a try. They are super easy to make, and as versatile as your repertoire of deviled egg recipes. 
All it takes is a handful of large, pitted black olives, a sharp knife, and a dexterous hand. Use whatever recipe you and your family like, and get to decorating. One black olive makes one spider. Simply cut it in half and use one half for the body, and then slice the remaining half longways, and then make four slices across to make the eight legs. It's a fun project for the kids, make ahead, and sure to elicit smiles and comments at your next spooky gathering.

This post is linked to:

5 comments:

Linda said...

Really cute! Getting your inspiration from everywhere = sign of a truly creative person. :)

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Love this idea! I'm really into collecting real food Halloween ideas that are cute like these. Thanks so much for sharing!

bj said...

what a cute idea....

Reidland Family said...

Adorable. My grandchildren would love them!

The Lazy Gastronome said...

These are cute! I put an olive spider on my spider pot pie but it didn't look nearly as good as yours!! Thanks for sharing on the What's for Dinner link up!