Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Mexican Coffee


This past weekend we were deluged with one icing event after another, running from Thursday night through Sunday morning. While the temperatures had warmed up significantly from those in the single digits and teens of the week prior, seeing a glazing of ice everywhere somehow made it feel colder. It was a weekend where I knew I would be going nowhere, so settled in by the fire, with stitching projects and lots of good books (Why didn't you all tell me that the Rosemont series was so good?!), and cup after cup of Mexican Coffee.

I'm not particularly a fan of flavored coffees unless somehow alcohol is involved (as in Irish coffee, something I don't drink nearly often enough), but wanted to give this a try because it sounded so good. As it turned out it was very good, and I'm sure would make an excellent after dinner drink with the addition of a shot or so of KahlĂșa. It's as easy to make as it is to enjoy, and with plenty of winter left, you have no excuse not to try it.

Mexican Coffee

1/2 cup ground dark roast coffee
1 T. ground cinnamon
1/4 t. ground nutmeg
5 cups water
1 cup milk
1/3 cup chocolate syrup
1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 t. vanilla extract
Whipped cream and ground cinnamon for garnish

Put coffee in filter basket of coffeemaker; add 1 T. ground cinnamon and ground nutmeg. Add 5 ups water to coffeemaker; brew coffee as manufacturer’s instructions. Mix milk, chocolate syrup, and sugar in large pan; cook over low heat, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves. Stir in brewed coffee and vanilla extract. Pour at once into mugs and top each serving with a dollop of whipped cream and ground cinnamon. Serves 6.
This post is linked to:

4 comments:

bj said...

ummm, i love this kind of coffee...i have a kurig coffee maker so I just brew up the one cup, add all the "good stuff" to it and pile on the whipped creme...so so good...think I'll just go fix a cup right now...:)

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

This sounds so good, but if I have coffee after 1:00 p.m. I am up all night. I will try it with decafe coffe. It is so cold here for me, I know I am a sissy, but with blood thinners and colder weather than 70's, I'm freezing.

Hope your doing well. I read all your post, but sometimes I don't leave a comment.

Have a wonderful warmer week.

Mary

Lori E said...

Always a favorite. I have never had it with chocolate though. That sounds yummy.

Miz Helen said...

Congratulations!
Your post is featured on The Top Ten for Full Plate Thursday this week! Hope you have a great week and thanks so much for sharing with us.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen