Thursday, January 5, 2017

Smothered Green Beans

When I shared my Boxing Day table with you couple of days ago, and told you what a great success the gathering was, I also promised some recipes. I made good with my recipe for Butter Pecan Cinnamon Rolls, and now here comes another recipe for the very popular green beans. Now I don't want to hear any snorts of derision when I tell you that this recipe calls for canned green beans. Frankly, I like them. When I was a kid I would eat them straight from the can. It may seem crazy, but how many kids do you know who snack on vegetables?

This recipe is so easy, and so good; you'd be wise to add it to your vegetable recipe repertoire. I made it the night before so all I had to do was slide it into a preheated oven the day of the party. Everyone loved it, and when children come back for seconds, you know it's a hit.
Smothered Green Beans
Adapted from Gooseberry Patch​
5 (15-oz) cans green beans, drained
6 strips bacon
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1-1/2 tsp garlic powder

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Pour drained green beans in an ungreased 9x13-inch pan.

In a large skillet, cook bacon until almost done but not too crispy. Remove from skillet, drain on paper towel and chop. Sprinkle cooked bacon on top of green beans.

Whisk together brown sugar, melted butter, soy sauce, and garlic powder. Pour over green beans.

Bake for 40 minutes.

This post is linked to:

11 comments:

jmac said...

Definitely going into my recipe stash. I got 6 granbabies who would eat these up!
Happy New Year!!

Deborah Lacy said...

My grandmother used to make a similar dish but I never had the recipe. Can't wait to try this one. Just seeing this photo reminded me of great memories.

Southerncook said...

My grands would love this too. I have tried fresh green beans on them and they turned up their nose, in all fairness mommy being a surgical nurse has little time so I totally understand. I am definitely going to try this recipe out on them and I would love them too.

Carolyn/A Southerners Notebook

Marigene said...

I am not above eating canned green beans if bacon is involved! This recipe sounds delicious and I will be trying it next week.
Have a great weekend, Pattie.

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

This looks so good. Thanks for sharing the recipe at C&C with J&J.

Rachel @ cherryandspice.com said...

Your Scroodles look delicious--and so easy to make! My kids would love these. I'll have to make them!

Jennie Durren said...

Oh, these look delicious. I love green beans cooked in this old-fashioned kind of way - I have to admit I don't like mine crisp as the trend seems to be ;)

Unknown said...

Well this sounds amazing! Pinned!!

I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, tips, and tricks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

Miz Helen said...

I can't wait to try this recipe Patti, these Green Beans look fantastic! Hope you are having a great week and thanks so much for sharing your awesome post with us at Full Plate Thursday. We look forward to seeing you again real soon!
Miz Helen

The Lazy Gastronome said...

Thanks for sharing on the What's for Dinner link up!

Linda said...

You won't get any snorts of derision from me! When I was very young (in the 1950s) we had a green bean canning company in our tiny town, and as an elementary student visiting it, I got a free can of green beans. Thus started my love of canned green beans! I make something simlary to your recipe in the skillet but have not thought of baking it, plus you use more enticing ingredients. Going to give this one a try for sure.