Sunday, January 15, 2017

Slow Cooker Creamy Tortellini Soup


Once again it is “Sip Some Soup Sunday,” and what a perfect weekend this has been for making and enjoying soup. I have been iced in since Friday afternoon, so nothing has pleased me more than to be able to sit in front of the fire, sip some cinnamon tea, binge-watch my favorite British mysteries, and stir up one pot of soup after another.

It may come as a surprise to you to learn that I have never made tortellini soup. You may be further surprised to know that I've never eaten tortellini soup either. So, when I spotted this recipe on the Cafe Delights blog, and further learned that it was made in the crockpot, well, you just know I had to try it out. I adapted the recipe slightly to fit my medium-sized (4-quart) crockpot.

I used dried tortellini, and chose the cheese variety for the soup, but I also picked up some portobello mushroom tortellini that looks sensational. (Both of these I got at Aldi -- who knew?) I’m excited to be using tortellini for the first time in my life. As far as the spinach goes, if you're not wild about spinach, use kale. If you're not wild about either, leave it out. I think the spinach is wonderful; I used about three handfuls, that seemed to suit me, and I do like the addition of the green here. The soup will thicken as it cools and the tortellini absorbs all of that wonderful moisture. If it is too thick for your liking, feel free to thin it with stock or milk. Give it a try and let me know what you think.
Slow Cooker Creamy Tortellini Soup
Adapted from Café Delights

10 ounces ground hot Italian sausage, browned
1 medium onion, diced
2 medium carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
2 teaspoons low-sodium beef soup base
½ teaspoon salt
3 cups beef broth

2 Tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 2 Tablespoons water
1 12-ounce can evaporated milk
1 8-ounce packet three cheese tortellini (I used dried)

3 handfuls fresh baby spinach
1 cup whole milk

Place the first 9 ingredients into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 7 hours.

Uncover and skim and discard any fat that may have risen to the top. Add the cornstarch slurry, evaporated milk, and dry tortellini. Stir together. Cover and cook on high for 45 additional minutes.

Uncover and add spinach, pressing down into the liquid as you do so. Cook until wilted, 5-10 minutes more. Stir in milk, and serve with crusty bread and a side salad. This is truly a soup that eats like a meal.
 

6 comments:

sandy said...

i love tortellini - anything - with tortellini so this looks great. We do have an aldi nearby and I'll go there for the tortellini - usually i buy the kind that is frozen at costco - a five cheese. I can hardly ever find tortellini in a box so glad to know Aldi will have it. I HAVE to try this recipe. I'll let you know when I do.

KathyB. said...

Oh my goodness this looks so amazingly delicious ! Gonna make it.

jmac said...

Wondering where you've been!
And YUM �� I've made many a tortellini soup but none as thick as this one looks. Can't wait to try it!
I've got 15 bean and ham with kale outa the garden bubbling away right now and my house smells divine!

Linda said...

I am definitely saving this one - I love everything about it!

Unknown said...

This sounds really delicious!

I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, tips, and tricks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

Miz Helen said...

What a great bowl of soup, we will just love it! Thanks so much for sharing your awesome post with us at Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great day and come back soon!
Miz Helen