Monday, May 1, 2017

Crustless Three Cheese Tart with Spinach & Hearts of Palm


For the past week or so I have been moving a container of cottage cheese around in my fridge. I don't eat cottage cheese, mind you, I bought it to use in a recipe. The trouble is, after I got home, I couldn't remember what recipe it was, and searching efforts were fruitless. So today, a particularly cool and gloomy day, I decided I was going to do something with that cottage cheese. I wanted a nice warm lunch, so decided to make some sort of crustless quiche/tart, using it to get rid of all of the errant ingredients in my fridge.

Basing this upon the Cheese Peta recipe of my late aunt (you can find that recipe here), I whisked together eggs, cottage cheese, half a package of frozen chopped spinach that I had thawed and drained, then stirred in some cheese, sliced hearts of palm, and baked it. It was wonderful! I had it with a nice warm crusty roll slathered with butter, and it was the most satisfying late afternoon lunch.

This was so good that I'm thinking it could probably be baked in an 8” x 8 square pan, cut into squares (or diamonds if you're feeling fancy), and served as a hot hors d'oeuvre. Consider this post as an encouragement to get you imagining what you can do with the items that are in your fridge. In the meantime, I encourage you to try this recipe; it's delicious. Cut small slivers to serve as a side dish alongside baked ham, or larger portions to serve as a main dish. You’re going to love it.
Crustless Three Cheese Tart with Spinach & Hearts of Palm

3 eggs
1 cup small curd cottage cheese
½ of a 10-oz. pkg. frozen, chopped spinach
½ of a 14-oz. jar Melissa’s Hearts of Palm, sliced into ½ rounds
1 cup freshly grated pepper jack cheese
1 cup freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons flour
Few gratings of fresh nutmeg
1/4 cup butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350° F.  Spray a 9 pie pan with Pam.

Thaw spinach and drain very well. Whisk together the eggs and cottage cheese. Stir in spinach, hearts of palm, cheeses, flour and nutmeg. Pour butter over all and stir to combine. Pour into pie pan. Bake for 1 hour. Cool ten minutes before slicing.

NOTE: This recipe can be made the day prior to baking.  Just mix it together, pour in into a pie plate, cover, and keep refrigerated until ready to bake.
This post is linked to:



6 comments:

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

This recipe sounds wonderful, however I cannot eat spinach due to being on blood thinners. Apparently there are quite a few food items that I cannot eat due to high Vit. K in the veggie. It apparently it put to much of Vit K into the blood stream an works against the medication. So there are quite a few veggies I cannot eat. And of course it's one that I really like.

Hope your feeling better and have a terrific week. Is Spring there yet?

Mary

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

This really is a good recipe, but my guess is that it's pretty flexible. While chopped broccoli would be a good substitute for the spinach, I realize that you probably can't eat that either. I think I might be inclined, in this case, to substitue spinach for leeks, or a combination of leeks, scallions, and sliced mushrooms.

Linda said...

When I first looked at the picture I thought those were artichoke hearts. Never had hearts of palm but I bet they are good! I do love cottage cheese, and I love cooking with it (Dilly Bread comes to mind), so I know I'd love this recipe.

Jay said...

I love anything with spinach! I would love you to share this with Smell Good Sunday http://jaytriedandtrue.blogspot.com/2017/04/smell-good-sunday-18.html

Sandra Lee said...

A few months back my husband was on a cottage cheese kick.This would have been the perfect recipe to use what was leftover and eventually thrown out. Thank you for sharing with us this week at Celebrate Your Story, and I hope your week is going great.

Miz Helen said...

We are going to love this tart, it looks delicious! Hope you are having a great day and thanks so much for sharing with us at Full Plate Thursday!
Come Back Soon,
Miz Helen