Sunday, April 30, 2017

The Mystery of the Green Soup


If this post doesn't illustrate the importance of labels, then I don't know what does. In my annual spring effort of emptying out foods in the freezer, today I decided to have what appeared to be split pea soup for lunch. When I cooked during the winter, I froze soups, stews, and various meals in single-serve containers to make future meals easy for myself. It's rainy and gloomy today, with a slight chill in the air, so I thawed pea soup, put it into a small saucepan, and heated it up. When I tasted it, I realized that it was not pea soup at all. In fact, I honestly had no clue as to what kind it was.  It was tasty, but was not leek soup, or asparagus soup, or spinach soup, or pea. The jury is still out as to whether or not it was zucchini soup. Whatever it was, it was very good, but this is certainly going to be a lesson for me in the future to be sure to label all of my containers!

With spring here, you might be interested in making some green soup of your own. Here are my favorites. Click on the name beneath the soup to be taken directly to the recipe.

Scallion Soup

Magpie's Asparagus Soup

St. Louis-Style Cream of Broccoli Soup

Cream of Celery Soup

Fresh and Creamy Asparagus Soup with Tarragon

Christmas Ham & Split Pea Soup

Split Pea Soup

Cream of Asparagus Soup

Cream of Asparagus Soup 2

Broccoli, Red Pepper, and Three Cheese Soup

Cheesy Leek and Broccoli Soup

Zucchini Vichyssoise

Brussels Sprouts Bisque

St. Louis Bread Company’s Broccoli Cheese Soup

Chilled Cucumber-Avocado Soup

 

This post is linked to:

 

5 comments:

Ivy, Phyllis and Me! said...

Good evening Pattie, oh how I smiled when I read about your escapade with your green soup because I have done exactly the same. One time I took a container from my freezer thinking it was a beef stew I had frozen, it turned out to be onion gravy. I had to rustle up something very quickly for supper and I have to tell you it wasnt beef stew.
You have shared so many lovely soups, that it is hard to choose my favourite.
Have a lovely day.
Best Wishes
Daphne

Rustown Mom said...

Ha! I've done that many times - thrown a container in there and figured I would remember what it was. You would think I would learn to label! All of those soups looks so good - I've been wanting creamy potato or broccoli cheese soup lately. Might have to make me some!

Gentle Joy said...

There are many tasty green soups... we love broccoli cheddar and split pea especially, but I didn't realize there were as many as you showed. By the way, your tasty mystery green soup made me smile. :) Have a good week.

Sandra Lee said...

This is a delicious round up of soups and I'm happy that you liked the mystery soup. Thank you for sharing with us this week at Celebrate Your Story, and have a great weekend.

The Charm of Home said...

These look awesome! Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!