Monday, January 31, 2022

[Incredibly] Ridiculously Easy Snickerdoodle Scones

It has been ages since I last made scones, so when I spotted this recipe on the Té Café Sucré Farina blog I decided to give it a try. Her name for them were Ridiculously Easy Snickerdoodle Scones, employing the use of a freezer method that does make these easier than cutting the butter and dry ingredients together with a pastry cutter. It still seemed like trouble to me when I compared it to my incredibly ridiculously easy version [of any kind of scones] using a food processor -- the food processor cuts butter and dough together like nobody’s business -- it makes short work out of any scone recipe, and it worked beautifully here.


The glaze and cinnamon sugar topping are what make these extra special. Do give them a try. If you don’t have a food processor and want to use Chris’s method, click here and head to her blog.

Ridiculously Easy Snickerdoodle Scones

 For the scones:

1 large egg

¾ c. heavy cream (approximately)

1 stick (8 T.) butter

2 c. plus 2 T. all-purpose flour

⅓ c. sugar

1 T. baking powder

1 t. cream of tartar

½ t. salt

 For the glaze and cinnamon-sugar sprinkle:

¾ c. powdered sugar

¼ c. water

1 t. vanilla extract

2 T. granulated sugar

1 t. ground cinnamon

 For the scones:

 Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a cookie sheet or jellyroll pan with a Silpat or parchment paper.

 Add the egg to a liquid measuring cup. Add enough heavy cream to equal 1 cup. Place the egg/cream mixture in the freezer for 15-20 minutes while proceeding with the recipe.

 Place flour, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar, and salt into the work bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the mixture looks like heavy sand. Add heavy cream and pulse again until all flour is incorporated and the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.

 Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Pat dough into a circle, and cut into wedges. Bake for 14-18 minutes or until nicely light golden brown.

 Transfer to a cooling rack, brush two at a time generously with the glaze. Grab a nice pinch of the cinnamon-sugar mixture and sprinkle over the wet glaze.

Serve warm or at room temperature with butter, if desired.

For the glaze and cinnamon-sugar sprinkle:

 While the scones are baking, mix up the glaze by combining the powdered sugar, water, and vanilla. Whisk until any small lumps disappear. Set aside.

Combine the cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl.

 *You can also scoop the dough up with a retractable 4 tablespoon ice cream scoop.


 As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

5 comments:

Marie Smith said...

I use cream in my scones too. Love them!

bread&salt said...

Looks fingerlickingly delicious! I am sure these scones go well with our 5 pm tea-break.

Linda said...

Gosh I haven't made scones since we left Oklahoma in 2010! And yep I used to use the food processor. These look so freakishly good and flaky and buttery - yum!

The Tote Trove said...

Oh, I love snickerdoodles, so this post grabbed me immediately! The pics are mouth-watering. :)

Alycia Nichols said...

I've never made a scone in my life, so the words "ridiculously easy" appeal to me! I know that someday for some reason I am going to have to make them. I just have a feeling. When that day comes...and it will...THIS would be the one to make! I LOVE snickerdoodles, and I love the smell of them (Bath & Body Works is my go-to place for the shower gel, body lotion, hand soap, and body spray!), so it's a can't miss!!!!!! Yours are beautiful in these photos!!! Bakery quality!!!