Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Year of the Tiger Tablescape

Chinese New Year, beginning this year on February 1, is a colorful holiday in one of the most colorless months. I find my simple observance of it to be quite a perk after all of the activity of Christmas and New Year’s.

 

This “Year of the Tiger” table was relatively easy to put together because, as a lover and maker of Chinese food, I tend to keep things on hand like chopsticks, and Chinese take out boxes. Recently, I added fun and colorful Chinese fans to the mix. I gathered these things into a basket, tucked a bit of crinkly, shredded black paper left over from Halloween, to fill in some spots, and my centerpiece was born.

Years ago when I threw an Asian theme party for my parents for one of their anniversaries, I bought the fabric that I used here as a table covering and napkins, and hand painted Chinese characters on plain glasses that, at that time, I bought for $.50 each at Old Time Pottery.

The plates, celebrating the Year of the Tiger, may look like a special purchase, but I assure you they are not. That is nothing more than a picture of a tiger beneath one of my most used Duralex clear plates. These, luncheon-sized (9 inch) plates can turn any table into anything that you want it to be just by changing up the picture below. I used them, as you may remember, in this post.

 

The butterfly dishes for holding both sweet and sour and mustard sauces, I have had for decades! I was quite enamored with these when Pier 1 carried them back when I was in college, and couldn’t resist buying them. It was an odd purchase for someone accumulating items to set up housekeeping for the first type, but I guess that says everything about my character, personality, and shopping tendencies.

 



The teapot and teacups with their leaf-shaped saucers belong to my number two son. A number of years ago he asked me if I could store this set for him, and then never seemed to want it back. It gets pressed into service every year at this time.


Because not everyone is as adept with chopsticks as I used to be, a knife and fork are included. It saves on cleanup. :-)

 

I hope that you found this table as enjoyable to view as I did putting it together. Previous Chinese New Year tables can be found here and here.

 

Now go celebrate something colorful!

 This post is linked to: Tablescape Thursday

 As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

 

10 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Your tables are a feast for the eyes! So beautiful!

Gina said...

Your table settings are always so imaginative!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I always enjoy seeing your beautiful interesting tables scapes.. thanks

nrilyn the nurse said...

Your table is just beautiful. I enjoyed all the aspects of it. You have certainly gathered so many interesting and beautiful things. Happy New Year to all.

bread&salt said...

What a beautiful kitchen items! Especially teapot and teacups look great.İ would like to try tea pot and teacups for our Turkish tea in Chinese Tiger year.

Linda said...

I just love the Duralex plates and remember your bee graphic underneath them - so clever! Your tables are so much fun, and I love this one.

Checkered sox said...

Your tablescape is lovely Pattie . You obviously have the same philosophy of building a centerpiece as I do! It turned out great!

The Tote Trove said...

This table is absolutely stunning, my favorite one yet! It's especially creative how you put the tiger pics under your plastic plates. :)

thepaintedapron.com said...

Very creative table Patti! Love all the details and accessories you have, especially the hand painted glasses! Here's to the year of the Tiger!
Jenna

Sandra said...

A fun table to celebrate the coming of the tiger! The tablecloth and napkins are fabulous, as is the dragon teapot.
Sandra @ Dinner at Eight