Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Oven-Dried Black-Olive Seasoning

 
Did you all know that there were dried olives? I did not know that. It wasn’t until I read a posting in Judee Algazi's Gluten Free A-Z blog that I learned of them. That sent me googling to learn more, and that’s when I came across this recipe from Martha Stewart. I was immediately intrigued, had a jar of Kalamata olives on hand, and so gave it a try. This stuff is wonderful! Frankly, I could eat it by the spoonful. I found it added sophistication and lots of flavor to deviled eggs, pasta dishes, when sprinkled on top of soups, or tossed into salads. This is a unique and versatile seasoning. Try it!

Oven-Dried Black-Olive Seasoning

Slightly adapted from Martha Stewart

2 c. pitted Kalamata olives

sesame seeds, toasted

dried chili flakes

 Preheat oven to 250°F. Arrange olives on a parchment-lined, rimmed baking sheet. Cook until dried and crispy, about 3 hours. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.

 Place olives into the work bowl of a high speed mini chopper and pulse until almost powdery. Stir in sesame seeds and chili flakes.

 Seasoning can be stored at room temperature up to 2 weeks.

Makes 1¼ cups.


 As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

 

6 comments:

Gina said...

Oh this is intriguing! Sounds like a good sub for regular ole salt and pepper.

Marie Smith said...

What a great idea. It has to be tasty.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

What a great recipe! It sounds wonderful and I appreciate the shout out!

bread&salt said...

Yes i followed glutenfreeA-Z and i got dried olive there. I really dont know it before. Oven dried olive seasoning looks so interesting and different.

Alycia Nichols said...

I'm at home all day today, so I think I'll try making this. I'll just do a half recipe since I'll be the only one eating it, but yippee for olive ANYTHING in my book!!!!!!!!

Balvinder said...

Such a good idea to make olive seasoning.