Thursday, June 2, 2022

Welcome to the Conservatory

In June 2017 I introduced you to the first of many building projects that I've had done on my home. I decided life was too short to not live my way, and I turned a small 12’ x 12’ deck into a beautiful 16’ x 16’ screened-in lanai with a 16’ x 10’ open deck attached. You can read about that here.

It was wonderful fun watching that project come into being, and I had a delightful time furnishing it. But, as it turned out, as much as I loved it, considering the intense heat and humidity that we have in this part of the country during the summer I realized that, at best, I could only use it three months out of the year.


I loved that room because it was bright and airy, and I could be outside of the house without really being outside of the house, if you know what I mean. So last year I decided to have it torn down and a four-season room built with two giant skylights. This has become my favorite room in the house. Let me introduce you to my sanctum sanctorum, the conservatory.


A lot of thought went into this room. I wanted to be able to spend a lot of time here. I wanted it to be an extension of the house. No more did I want to open up a door to step into the room, so a wall was knocked down to make the transition easy. I wanted as much light as I could get, so had two of the largest skylights I could find installed.


  The tray ceiling that my faithful builder, Joe Rogers, used in the deck, he rebuilt in the conservatory. I decided to get a bit more creative this time and have the square at top painted a different color than the ceiling. I also decided to opt for a fan without a light fixture, but quite different from the tropical design I had before in this windmill style.


A room isn’t a room without a pile of books, so I had twin bookcases built on either side of the door that leads to the deck where I grow citrus, flowers, herbs, and vegetables.

Decorating this room was a lot of fun, and despite its newness, went through a couple of transitions.  Because this was built during the pandemic and lock-down, I did a lot of my work in this room and initially used had a desk as a work table. Last weekend that came down and was replaced with this charming table for two. This is where I enjoy all my meals including morning coffee, afternoon tea, and a nightcap amidst the glow of candlelight.

As you can see, this room is as beautiful by night as it is by day.


 All of my favorite things are in here, as well as the very beginnings of a rather bohemian dollhouse.

The furniture is comfortable, the plants are plentiful, and when the citrus trees are in bloom the fragrance is heady.

Keep an eye on this space and watch as the plants grow, fruit ripens (The tall tree behind the couch is a Key Lime.), and this table for two transitions from one theme to another as seasons change.

I hope you love this room as much as I do.

 This post is shared on Metamorphosis Monday.

6 comments:

Gina said...

I'm glad to know you have made that room your own with your own personality and taste - its looks very restful and calm in here. More and more I find that having such a space in your home is a crucial break from the outside world. Hmmm...you might have inspired me to add a few more interesting potted plants to my kitchen window seat!

Lana said...

Just fabulous! Everything about it is perfect!

Marie Smith said...

It looks so comfortable and beautiful!. No wonder you love it so….

Linda said...

Pattie, wow! I might as well list the things I love the most: the set of glasses with eyes above the entrance, the bookcases, that little ottoman in front of the cozy chair (is that Stanley's spot?), the replacement fan, and is the round table the one you refer to as your dining spot? I like the afghans/sofa blankets too and the way you placed them. And it's wonderful that you still have an outdoor space. Nicely done!

thepaintedapron.com said...

It's just beautiful Pattie, what a private haven you have created to enjoy all year! Love the doll house, I know you're going to have fun with that!
Jenna

Alycia Nichols said...

This is the space where I could feel very "Downton Abbey" having tea, very "Murder, She Wrote" pounding out a book, or very "Friends" just hanging out!