Tuesday, August 9, 2022

Gathering in the Garden

A devilish little woman by the name of Alycia Nichols, whom some of you may know as the creative genius behind the Tablescapes at Table 21 blog, is to blame for my latest obsession. We share an email or two, and send pictures back-and-forth of our latest acquisitions. All she had to do was send me one picture of one of her Portmeirion botanical plates, and I immediately fell in love. Heaven knows I don’t need any more dishes, on the other hand (I continually reason with myself), when I am setting a table for two, I don’t need to buy a lot of them. Just two of each is all that I need for an attractive luncheon or dinner table for two. That’s how this table began.


I love the idea of a botanical table out in the conservatory. I mean, it stands to reason, that is the type of table that belongs there. I used my much loved round tablecloth in burlap, and topped it with artificial Monstera leaves on top of which I placed a pair of woven placemats, topped with another favorite, my much loved Bordallo Pinheiro geranium leaf chargers.

Blanc Amelie pattern dinner plates from Maison Versailles were placed on top of them, and then plates that I have been searching for forever, Lavender Bordallo Pinheiro salad plates.

The bowls on top of them represent my first Portmeirion purchase. The lavender hibiscus on these bowls blend amazingly well with the lavender plates underneath.

Checkered napkins from Pottery Barn flank each plate and they are topped with Wallace silversmiths Napoleon bee flatware.

The cups and saucers are simple cappuccino cups from which I get much use, and found on Amazon.

The candleholder at center used to belong to my mother. I had one like it in cobalt blue that was a casualty of a tornado that ripped through our yard at the old house back in 2012. I believe, but I’m not 100% sure, but these came from Pottery Barn. The candle inside is from, of all places, Wayfair.com. They have an amazing selection of candles in a wide variety of colors and lovely light fragrances to suit any table. I am not affiliated with Wayfair, I just love their products.

 

The glassware is the wonderful Made-in-France Lá Rochère.

The white butterfly dishes, generally considered to be used for hot mustard and sweet-and-sour sauce in an Asian meal, work very well for butter pats, salt and pepper, or, as you see here, to hold a sprig of mint and pair of lime wedges to use with the sparkling water.

A sprig of fresh thyme from my garden casually draped across the bowl adds a final and fragrant touch.

Come dine with me!

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

This post is linked to: Tablescape Thursday


9 comments:

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I love dishes and table settings. You've done a great job with this setting. Beautiful! I tend to want to buy new dishes all the time, but I don't. I've often thought I should set the table for 8 with everyone getting a different place setting. Truthfully, now a days we tend to eat on the deck and use disposable.

Marie Smith said...

Just gorgeous! You are certainly a lover of dishes! This setting is too pretty to clutter with food!

Balvinder said...

Love your taste for table setting and dinnerware.

Lauren S said...

Very pretty table. I love the green and purple color combo.

Kim said...

Pattie, love your table for two! The lavender BP salad plates were quite the find and the Portmeirion hibiscus bowls are gorgeous! I hope you enjoyed dinner at your lovely table! Kim (hope this doesn't show up as anonymous)

Thelma said...

Such a pretty table. The lavender plates are gorgeous.

Linda said...

Everything you put on your tables is so thoughtful and inviting! Those Lavender Bordallo Pinheiro plates are gorgeous.

The Tote Trove said...

Your table settings are always original and beautiful, but this one is my favorite. I'm drawn to the purple and also the butterfly plates -- and, as always, your elegantly creative way of describing it all. It's also lovely how you incorporated your mother's candlestick. I'm so sorry to hear that your cobalt one was lost in a tornado. That sounds horrific, but thankfully you're here to tell this tale and others.🦋

sandy said...

I've enjoyed catching up - this setting is beautiful and i love the view outside your house.