Tuesday, August 27, 2024

Chicken Pot Pie

 
I haven’t made chicken pot pie since before my husband passed away, and that was eight years in June. I used to make individual pot pies in medium sized ramekins with no bottom crust, and just a puff pastry topping. It was very similar to the cock-a-leekie pies that we used to get when we were in Scotland. Today I decided that I wanted a genuine potpie with two crusts. I also wanted it loaded with chicken and full of vegetables. To make things easier on myself, I did all of the cutting of vegetables and cubing of chicken the day before, so this went together very quickly. I am now 100% sold on the two crust pot pie, this was magnificent! It is a perfect comfort food. Everyone is going to love it.
Chicken Pot Pie

1/3 c. butter

1 c. sliced carrots

1 c. chopped celery

1 c. sliced mushrooms

½ c. diced yellow onion

1 t. minced garlic

1/3 c. flour

1 t. Montréal Chicken Seasoning

¼ t. kosher salt

½ t. freshly ground black pepper

1 t. dried thyme leaves

1¾ c. homemade chicken stock

1/3 c. whole milk

1/3 c. heavy cream

3 c. cubed cooked chicken

1 c. frozen peas

2 crust pie crust*

 Egg wash: 1 large egg beaten with 1 T. milk

 Melt butter in a 12” skillet over medium heat. Add vegetables (carrots, celery, mushrooms, and onion) and sauté, stirring occasionally, until onions become transparent and butter starts to lightly brown, 10-12 minutes. Stir in garlic.

 Using a wooden spoon stir in flour, chicken seasoning, salt, black pepper, and thyme. When flour has become well incorporated with the vegetables, stir in chicken broth, milk, and cream. Simmer over medium heat for 2-3 minutes and then stir in chicken. Simmer 10 minutes longer until very thick.  Stir in peas. Remove from heat and set aside.

 Preheat oven to 425°F.

 Carefully place one pie crust into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate. Spoon the chicken and vegetable mixture into the crust. Cover the pie with the second crust and crimp the piecrust with a fork or your fingers to seal the edges. With a small sharp knife, slice a few small slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape.

Using a pastry brush, brush crust and edges with egg wash. Bake for 32–38 minutes or until the top of the crust is golden brown. If edges of crust start getting too brown, cover with a piece of foil or a pie crust shield.

 Remove from oven and cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.

 If there are leftovers, they reheat beautifully.

 * You can make your own if you feel so inclined, I never do.

 As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

4 comments:

Donna said...

Oh my word! This looks wonderful and a must try, on my list!
hugs
Donna

Marie Smith said...

This will be my husband’s dream meal!

Linda said...

I grew up on Swanson's, so making one from scratch was a revelation to me when I finally tried it. Your recipe looks like the perfect version! And every pie should be two-crust IMO.

Gina said...

I have made one crust pot pies for so long that I forgot all about doing the bottom crust. The browned edges are my favorite. When the weather cools here, I will come back to this one to try.