Tuesday, August 20, 2024

Oven Baked Ribs with Onions and Lemon

 
Not too long ago, I got it into my head that I wanted to have ribs for dinner. I didn’t want to grill them outside because I knew that was a rather lengthy, hands-on process, and the weather was hot. I also didn’t want to make them the way my mother used to because hers, while tender and tasty, looked more anemic than I generally like. So, I consulted my good friend Alycia from Tablescapes at Table 21 and she told me how she did hers. It is a simple process, you can season them up the way you like, and spend your day on other chores while they bake away in the oven. Having done this successfully on numerous occasions, yet still waxing nostalgic for my mother’s ribs, I decided to mix things up and combine Alycia’s technique with my mother’s recipe, and I think this is the best yet.Oven Baked Ribs

 2 to 2 ½ pounds baby back pork ribs

Salt and black pepper

Rib rub

1 lemon, thinly sliced

1 Melissa’s sweet onion, thinly sliced

1 12-18-oz. bottle your favorite Barbecue Sauce

 Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a 9” x 13” pan with heavy duty foil, allowing significant overhang in order to fold over the ribs. Scatter lemon and onion slices along the bottom of the pan, reserving a few for the top. If it hasn’t been done, remove the thin membrane from the back of the ribs.

 Rub the ribs thoroughly, front and back, with the rib rub, and gently lay on top of the slices of lemon and onion. Pour entire contents of bottle of barbecue sauce over the ribs to coat, and scatter reserved lemon and onion slices over the top.

 Loosely close the foil around the ribs, slide into the oven for to bake for 3 hours. After about two hours in, baste with sauce. At the 2½-hour point, open the foil to allow the sauce to caramelize a bit. At the end of three hours, remove from oven, place ribs onto a serving platter and serve.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

6 comments:

Marie Smith said...

These look delicious,as your food always does!

Angie's Recipes said...

They look so tempting! Is bbq sauce a must?

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Angie, if you want to make barbecued ribs, then barbecue sauce is definitely a must. I suppose you could try it without, but it wouldn’t be the same.

Gina said...

I have never eaten ribs with bbq sauce on them, but I may have to try this very soon!

Gina said...

Holy cow this looks good. I am actually turning on my oven tonight to fix meatloaf.

Donna said...

Oh my Word ,Girl! This looks Wonderful!
hugs
Donna