Thursday, September 24, 2026

Old-Fashioned Coconut Sheet Cake – Tender, Fluffy & Irresistible

 
I’ve never been much of a cake baker. After thirty-plus years of reaching for the same handful of recipes, I’d simply lost my spark for it.

 Then, almost like fate, I stumbled upon an old issue of Amazing Cakes and Cupcakes from Hoffman Publications’ “All-American Cooking” series. Eighty-four brand-new recipes spilled across the pages. Layer cakes, Bundt cakes, sheet cakes, cheesecakes, cupcakes, fillings, frostings, and glazes. For the first time in years, I actually felt excited about baking a cake.

 The Old-Fashioned Coconut Sheet Cake practically jumped off the page — and, no, it is not too soon after my Tom Cruise cake to try a new variety — and called my name. So at 9:00 on a Sunday night, I rolled up my sleeves and got to work. I could barely wait for it to cool before slathering on the frosting and sneaking that first slice.

It did not disappoint. This cake is genuinely delicious — moist, tender, and packed with coconut flavor thanks to coconut milk and coconut extract in both the cake and the frosting. (I was as shocked as you probably are that I actually had both on hand on a random Sunday night!)

 The finishing touch was sweet toasted coconut paired with salty chopped macadamia nuts, something I found to be pure genius. It adds that perfect little “je ne sais quoi” that makes this cake feel extra special.

 The recipe says it keeps well in the refrigerator for up to three days. I tested that theory and discovered it actually tastes even better after a day or two (I’d stop at four days max). It gets noticeably moister and more flavorful as it sits. So if you’re looking for a true make-ahead dessert that only improves with age… well, don’t we all?

 This classic coconut sheet cake, tender, moist, full of coconut flavor, and topped with a rich coconut cream frosting is everything you want in a homemade dessert. It’s an old-fashioned favorite that’s perfect for potlucks, family gatherings, or anytime you’re craving something sweet and comforting. The toasted coconut and macadamia nuts on top take it over the top!

The recipe states that it makes about 12 servings. Well, fewer than that in this household, but you do you.

Old-Fashioned Coconut Sheet Cake

 1 c. unsalted butter, softened

1½ c. sugar

4 large eggs, separated

1 t. coconut extract

1 t. vanilla extract

3 c. cake flour

1 t. baking powder

1 t. baking soda

½ t. salt

1¼ c. coconut milk

Coconut Cream Frosting (recipe below)

Garnish: toasted sweetened flaked coconut and chopped macadamia nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 13×9-inch baking pan with Baker’s Joy.

In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the coconut extract and vanilla extract. 

 In a medium bowl, whisk together the cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Sift the flour mixture twice.

Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture alternately with the coconut milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Beat just until combined after each addition.

 In a clean medium bowl, beat the egg whites with a mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter.

Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Let the cake cool completely in the pan. Spread the Coconut Cream Frosting over the top, and then sprinkle with toasted coconut and chopped macadamia nuts if desired. Cover and refrigerate up to 3 days.

 Coconut Cream Frosting

Makes about 5 cups

 ¾ c. butter, softened

4 - 5 T.  coconut milk

1 t. coconut extract

7 c. confectioners’ sugar*

 In a large bowl, beat the butter, 4 tablespoons coconut milk, and coconut extract with a mixer at medium speed until creamy.

 Gradually add the confectioners’ sugar, beating until smooth. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon coconut milk if needed to reach a spreadable consistency.

This beautiful coconut cake keeps well and tastes even better the next day. The light, fluffy texture and dreamy coconut frosting make it a guaranteed crowd-pleaser.

If you make this recipe, I’d love to hear how it turned out! Leave a comment below or tag me on social media. Enjoy!

*For reference, a 2-lb. bag of Domino powdered sugar yields 7.5 cups.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

No comments: