Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Banoffee Pie

 I first became acquainted with Banoffee Pie during a trip to Scotland over ten years ago.  Our perky waitress asked us what we would like for dessert and I inquired as to the house specialty.  Without missing a beat she said Banoffee Pie.  When I asked if this was a combination of Banana and Coffee, she indulgently informed me that it was Banana and Toffee.  Ooh, toffee.  I’ll have a slice!  I have been obsessed with this luscious dessert ever since, but years would pass before I located a recipe that could be made here in the States.  Canned toffee just isn’t readily available here, and I had no idea that it could be made by simply boiling a can of sweetened condensed milk.

Once I learned of this process I was raring to go, until I was informed of the possibility of the can exploding and splattering the kitchen with a sticky toffee mixture that would challenge even the most seasoned members of a crime scene clean up team.  But I’ve mellowed over the years, or perhaps become more intrepid (read: foolish) in my old age, and decided to give it a try.  Actually it was very easy and nothing at all to worry about.  


I used a BIG stock pot, boiled two cans at once (one for now and one for later), covered them over the top with an inch and a half of water, set the timer every 30 minutes to keep a careful watch on them, and boiled them at a low boil for 2-1/2 hours.  I didn’t need to add water once, but did anyway, just be to on the safe side.


The result was a can of thick, delicious toffee.


The pie itself is easy to make.  Essentially it is sliced bananas covered with creamy toffee in a graham cracker crust topped with whipped cream.  


Below are the proportions along with a crust recipe in case you don’t have one handy.


Banoffee Pie

1 graham cracker crust
3 bananas, sliced
1 can sweetened condensed milk, boiled to form toffee
1-1/2 cups heavy cream
1 tablespoon brown sugar

Make graham cracker crust per directions below.  Arrange banana slices on top of the crust.  Don’t get crazy cute with this, you’re just going to cover it up anyway.  Open your carefully boiled can of sweetened condensed milk and admire your brilliance at having made this creamy toffee.  If you have stored this in the fridge, pour contents into a microwave safe bowl and warm it for 30 seconds at a time, stirring between each 30 seconds until it becomes smooth and spreadable.  Pour over bananas and spread to the edge.  In the work bowl of your stand mixture and using the whisk attachment, whip cream until soft peaks form, add sugar and whip until stiff peaks form.  Spread over toffee and bananas.  Top with a dusting of cocoa, if desired.

Graham Cracker Crust

1-1/2 cups finely ground graham crackers (I use one packet)
5 tablespoons melted butter
1/3 cup granulated sugar

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Stir together graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter (I mix it all together in the work bowl of a food processor).  Press into the bottom and up the sides of a 9 pie plate.  Bake for 7-10 minutes.  Cool.  Set aside.

This post is linked to: 

4 comments:

Linda said...

I can't think of any reason not to try this - your slice just looks so tempting. I envy your trip to Scotland.

I wonder how boiling condensed milk compares to the flavor of dulce de leche in a can? I definitely want to try this method, so I can admire my brilliance. ;) I assume you refrigerated the extra can?

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I did refrigerate the other can, Linda. Apparently it lasts as long in this state as it would as condensed milk. I've heard, but have no personal evidence, that this tastes better than the canned dulce de leche.

Alycia Nichols said...

Seriously? Just boil the can of condensed milk??!?!?!?! I NEVER would have thought of that!!! I guess it's not really "just boil", though, if the possibility of a sticky sweet wall, ceiling and floor is involved! :-) This sounds super rich and good!!!! It looks beautiful, too!

Lee Ann said...

I too am a little nervous when I think of boiling a can. How do yoj think the caramelization would work if the can were opened and the milk put in a pot with a tight-fitting lid on low heat for 2 1/2 hours?

______
Lee Ann H
Crochet...Gotta Love It! Blog
Crochet...Gotta Love It! Website (crochet names and rosary patterns)