Monday, September 30, 2013

Caramel Apple Upside Down Pie

 When I saw a recipe for an upside down apple pie on the Taste of Home website, I knew that I had to try it.  The idea of caramel and pecan topping on a pie that is built in reverse was just too intriguing to pass up.  The original recipe can be found here.  I made some adjustments based upon what I like in an apple pie – a bit of citrus, a mixture of apples, and a bit less sugar.  I also took photos along the way so you could see exactly how it was done.  Using packaged crust (Honestly, who has the time to make crust?) it was really a lot easier than I thought it would be.  The end result was delicious.  I will definitely be making this again.

Caramel Apple Upside Down Pie

CRUST:
Your choice, go crazy.  I used Pillsbury Ready-Crust.

PECAN TOPPING:
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup roughly chopped pecans

APPLE FILLING:
1-1/2 pounds Jonathan apples, peeled, sliced 1/8 thick
1-1/2 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled, sliced 1/8 thick
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
Zest of ½ lemon
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg

GLAZE:
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
2 to 3 teaspoons orange juice

DIRECTIONS:

Line a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate with heavy-duty foil, leaving 1-1/2 in. beyond edge; coat the foil with cooking spray. (I only had regular foil, so I used two pieces.)
Combine 4 tablespoons butter, brown sugar and pecans; spoon into prepared pie plate. 
In a large bowl, combine the apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and remaining butter; toss gently.

Place pastry over nut mixture, pressing firmly against mixture and sides of plate. 
Fill with apple mixture. 
Place second crust over filling.  Fold bottom pastry over top pastry; seal and flute edges. Cut four 1-in. slits in top pastry.
 Bake at 375° for 60-65 minutes or until apples are tender and crust is golden brown (cover edges with foil during the last 20 minutes to prevent over browning if necessary).
Cool for 15 minutes on a wire rack. 
 Invert onto a serving platter; carefully remove foil. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over pie.

Yield: 8 servings.


This post is linked to:








5 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

Happy Monday, Pattie!

Oh how I LOVE this recipe and concept. I do believe even I will be able to pull this off.

Thanks for giving the okay for refrigerator pie crust because I just happen to have a few in the fridge from that Peach Galette I made. Next on the menu, Apple Upside Down Pie!

Thanks so much for sharing, Pattie...

Kelly said...

This looks delicious! We haven't made it to Eckert's yet, but who cares? I have been buying apples like mad and now have a wonderful new recipe to try!

Thank you!

Linda said...

Now that's an apple pie!

Mary said...

Positively drool-worthy!

Lisa Boyle said...

This looks amazing! Thanks for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." I hope you will be able to join us again this week. http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2013/10/try-new-recipe-tuesday-october-8.html