Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Peach Cobbler

Do you mourn the end of peach season like I do?   Peaches are one of my favorite fruits, and I truly hate to see the fresh peach season come to an end.  You can preserve a bit of their freshness, though, in not only making this mouthwatering cobbler to serve to your appreciative family, but also by making up extra batches of the filling to freeze for use during those bleak months of winter.


Peach Cobbler

Filling:
6 large peaches, peeled, quartered, and cut into wedges
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon cornstarch
Pinch of cardamom


Topping:
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pinch of cardamom
9 Tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/4 cup, plus 2 Tablespoons boiling water

Preheat oven to 425°F.  In a large mixing bowl, combine peaches, sugar, lemon juice, cardamom, and cornstarch until coated.  Pour into a 2-qt. nonreactive baking dish and bake in middle of the preheated oven 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, in the work bowl of a food processor, place flour, sugar, baking powder, cardamom, and salt.  Pulse to combine.  Add butter and pulse 8-10 times until mixture resembles coarse meal. With motor running, slowing pour water into mixture via the tube, and mix until just combined.

Remove peaches from oven and drop heaping spoonfuls of topping all over the top. Place dish on a cookie sheet to catch drips and bake in the middle of oven until topping is golden, about 25 minutes. (Topping will spread as it bakes.)

Allow to cool on wire rack.  Serve topped with ice cream, whipped cream, a dollop of peach yogurt, or eat directly from pan with large spoon.

To Freeze Filling:
Mix together filling ingredients (DO NOT BAKE!), pour into a gallon-size plastic freezer bag and freeze.  Remove from freezer to the fridge the day prior to desired use.  Continue as directed.


This post is linked to:

4 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

I do mourn the end of peach season Pattie. As a matter of fact, to celebrate the end of the season, I made my first galette. It was peach of course:) I've been thinking about posting about it but, I thought it was too late. After seeing such deliciousness, I'm kinda sorry I didn't.

Thank you so much for sharing...I patiently await another peach season:)

Linda said...

Yes I mourn the end of peach season, but I've really been in mourning since the 1970s, when the old orchard next to my folks' house was mowed down, and I no longer had access to those juicy bites of heaven. My Granny made peach cobbler, but her "cobbler" was simply a bottom and top pie crust with a pinch of baking powder added to the dough and baked in a 9X13 pan. There was never a single bite left in the pan. I have moved on though, and yours does look delicious! :)

So Domesticated said...

I love peaches... what a great recipe... yum!

Miz Helen said...

Peach Cobbler is one of our families favorites, this looks delicious! Hope you have a great week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen