Saturday, September 7, 2013

Plum Bite Crumble


I think that plums are underappreciated fruits.  My favorite of the stone fruits, they are sweet, juicy, and deeply red indicating that they are packed with nutrients and antioxidants, and are a good source of vitamin C.  I have used them in many recipes; one of my favorites is Plum Streusel Coffeecake.  This afternoon, though, I wanted to make a dessert appropriate for an evening meal, so settled on a plum crumble.  As was the case with the coffeecake mentioned above, I had to battle Mr. O-P for the plums (I’m going to have to find a much better hiding place!), leaving me making a smaller dessert than I’d hoped, but no less delicious.  I imagine this would be tasty topped with vanilla ice cream, or whipped cream, but I wanted nothing to compete with the plum deliciousness, so ate it plain. Yummy!

Plum Bite Crumble

Topping 
½ cup, plus 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/3 cup old-fashioned oats
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch cardamom
1/2 stick chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces

Filling
1 pound Melissa’s Organic Plum Bites, pitted, cut into wedges
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon brandy

Preheat oven to 350°F.

To make crumb topping:
Put flour, oats, sugar, cinnamon, and cardamom into the work bowl of your food processor.  Pulse until mixed (about 3 times). Add the butter and pulse 5-8 times until the mixture forms a coarse meal. Place mixture into a medium bowl and squeeze together with your fingers to form large-ish crumbs.  Set aside, or, if you like, cover and refrigerate for 1-2 days.

To make plum filling:
Toss plums, sugar, and brandy together in a medium bowl.  Mix to make sure the fruit is well coated.  Spread into the bottom of a small baking dish or ramekins. Sprinkle crumb topping over fruit. Bake on a parchment or Silpat-lined baking sheet (to make clean-up a breeze) until fruit bubbles and topping browns, about 50 minutes (less if using ramekins). Cool slightly before serving.

This post is linked to:

4 comments:

tinyskillet said...

This looks like the perfect crumble. I would love some right now!

Unknown said...

Yum! Your plum crumble looks delicous! Can't wait from summer stone fruit to come our way - only a few months to go!

Susan Freeman said...

Yummy!

Big Texas Hugs,
Susan and Bentley

The Tablescaper said...

I am sooo happy that you posted this. I have been searching through my cookbooks and looking on line for a plum crumble, but none of them were hitting me right. I wanted to include oatmeal and your recipe does. I can't wait to make it.

One question, aprox how many plums do you use? I realize it depends upon the size but I'd appreciate an estimate. Thanks so much.

Great to have you at Seasonal Sundays.

- The Tablescaper