Sunday, September 8, 2013

Summer's Swan Song

 While white is not supposed to be appropriate after Labor Day, I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to create a final summer tablescape using as much bright white as possible.  With temperatures last week and the upcoming week in the upper nineties (What?!) it’s hard to believe that it is actually September and we are just weeks away from fall. So I am calling this table my summer swan song. 
I was inspired by these sheet music flowers that served as centerpieces on tables at the wedding of my very musical number two son, and his equally musical wife, nearly four years ago.
Set for brunch, I used white ramekins as the perfect holders for spicy bran muffins. 
 Chinese butterfly dishes, normally used for holding hot mustard and sweet & sour sauces, served to hold pats of butter on one side, and homemade jam on the other.
Mint and cucumber-infused water is especially refreshing on a hot day.
Mismatched silverware is both elegant and casual at the same time.
The edging on these napkins is interesting, I think, making them one of my favorites.  This was my first set of napkins, given to me by my mother when I was still in high school back in the seventies.
White makes things feel cool even on the hottest of days.



Placemats – Pier 1
Runner – Pottery Barn
Dishes – Old Time Pottery
Glasses – La Rochere
Ramekins – Home Goods
Butterfly Dishes – Pier One







9 comments:

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Beautiful tablescape. Love all the white dishes - they look great. I know it's hard to get excited about Fall when the weather is in the 3 digits. Hopefully everyone will have a beautiful Fall.
Have a great week.
Mary

Mary said...

Beautiful Pattie! I love the sheet music roses for your swan song table! Love the mismatched flatware and wonderful napkins! It's in the 90s here too.

Scribbler said...

I love this table, and especially the innovative way you have used the butterfly and the ramekin. All this silliness of rushing the season just goes right over my head. It is too warm for Halloween etc., and I don't get into it much anyway. A pretty white table is timeless and classic!

Sarah said...

I'm ready for summer to make its swan song! I stopped in at Lowe's Garden Center today to ask when they would have fall annuals for planting. In a couple of months when it gets cooler, I was told. What? A couple of months, and it will be Thanksgiving.
Your swan song table is stellar. I've been scrolling up and down admiring each pretty detail ~ clever sheet music flowers, elegant settings with the mis matched flatware, all the white dishes, and the elegant napkins from your mom.

Anonymous said...

Love this table...the white dishes are wonderful after Labor Day1

thepaintedapron.com said...

Oh, I literally squealed with delight when I saw your swan song flowers! They are over the top cute and your table theme is so creative clever!! Love the white with the rattan~GREAT table Pattie! Hope you cool off soon, us too!
Jenna

xinex said...

I think white makes the environment look bright and cheerful when it starts getting dark. Your table is beautiful...Christine

Edith DUTERTRE said...

hello
super belle table
j'adore le petit pichet en forme de
poule
je vous est mis dans mon We♥it
tendresse
edith (iris) France

Unknown said...

I love your table! It is fresh & clean....I really don't want to rush into fall yet. Your table is cheerful and it is bright. I love the butterfly plates. You set a beautiful white table!
Blessings My Friend,