Saturday, November 2, 2013

Homemade Butterfinger Bars

 I find the concept of making one’s own candy bars to be quite intriguing.  In most cases, however, it seems to involve a bit of effort, and, when it comes to candy, who wants effort?  So when I stumbled upon this recipe for homemade Butterfinger Bars I had to give them a try.

Mr. O-P was a bit put off by the ingredients and, frankly, so was I.  Put offand skeptical.  Peanut butter and candy corn, melted together.  Uck!  As it turned out, though, not so uck.  In fact, pretty amazing!  I didn’t want to make a big pan full, so just measured out

8 ounces of candy corn
8 ounces of Jif Peanut Butter

I melted both over low heat in a medium saucepan, stirring constantly, and pressing down on the candy corn to force it to incorporate.  (Candy corn can be a bit willful, in case you don’t know.)

I sprayed a metal loaf pan with Pam and pressed the doughsmoothing it out as I went until it covered the bottom of the pan.  I allowed it to cool for about fifteen minutes and then scored it into small bars.  I allowed an additional fifteen minutes cooling time, and cut along the score lines.

Thirty minutes later, I inverted the pan over a parchment-lined cutting board, gave it a whack, and out they popped.

I melted 8 ounces of milk chocolate in the microwave, a minute at a time, stirring after each minute, and dipped each bar into the chocolate, placing it on waxed paper to dry.

I must say, the texture notwithstanding, these are excellent clones of the classic Butterfinger Bar.



This post is linked to:

2 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I always liked Butterfingers so this sounds good to me!

I had no idea about candy corn being willful, but I will keep that in mind. Good to know!

xoxox

Sheila

Marigene said...

Butterfingers are my favorite candy bar! Yummy...