Tuesday, November 5, 2013

“Secret Ingredient” French Onion Soup


Hands up if you like Dash Magazine. Okay, put them down, that must have been pretty embarrassing for those of you reading this at work. For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, Dash is a product of the people who edit the Parade Magazine that arrives weekly in your Sunday paper. Dash appears quarterly, and compiles recipes from Parade, Bon Appetit, and Gourmet magazines. Because I do like Dash a great deal, I also receive their emails. 

Last week, or maybe longer, who knows? I have lost complete track of time.  I received an email touting a
Secret Ingredient French Onion Soup.  Lover of both onion soup and intrigue, I clicked on the link. I felt duped when I was taken to a recipe for Vegetarian Onion Soup.  A good, rich, onion soup gets a lot of taste from beef stock. This recipe not only didn't have beef stock (as one might expect of a vegetarian recipe), it didn't even have vegetable stock. In fact, the list of ingredients indicated no liquid whatsoever. It was not until I read the instructions that I found the liquid: water. Water!  Okay, I'm not going to try this one, but I did swipe two of the ingredients that I'd never seen in onion soup before, sherry vinegar and molasses. 

I incorporated these two into my favorite onion soup recipe and now have a new favorite. Mr. O-P thought it a bit too rich, I thought it perfect. So here is my version of Secret Ingredient French Onion Soup. Give it a try and tell me what you think. 

Secret Ingredient French Onion Soup

4 lbs. onions (weight before peeling)
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
1 tablespoon molasses
3 quarts beef broth
1 cup dry white wine
2 teaspoons salt
French baguette
Gruyere cheese, shredded

Using a food processor or mandolin, peel onions and slice 1/8 inch thick. Melt butter in a large (6-quart) stockpot. Add onions and cook, uncovered, over low heat for 1-1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Stir in flour, pepper, paprika, bay leaf, sherry vinegar, and molasses.  Sauté over low heat 5 minutes more, stirring frequently. Add broth and wine, and stir to blend. Increase heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer slowly for 2 hours. Season to taste with salt, and additional pepper, if desired. Refrigerate overnight. To serve, heat soup and pour into ovenproof crocks or bowls. Top with a slice of French baguette and a mound of grated Gruyere cheese. Place under the broiler until cheese melts and browns lightly.


This post is linked to:

7 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

I think I've seen Dash before but to tell you the truth Pattie, I'm not really sure.

I do know I adore Onion Soup though. I have seen recipes using both sherry vinegar and sherry but the notion of a hint of molasses does sound quite intriguing.

Too bad the Mr. didn't enjoy it as much as you but... Personally, I would love some. It's chilly in these parts:)

Thanks for sharing, Pattie...

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I just marked this for my surrogate daughter who loves French onion soup more than anything! Thanks for sharing your secrets with us, Pattie!

xo

Sheila

Rattlebridge Farm said...

I love how you put your own spin on this recipe. I can't wait to make this soup. xx

Miz Helen said...

Your French Onion Soup looks fantastic and I can't wait to try this recipe! Hope you are having a great day and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon
Miz Helen

Lisa Boyle said...

This is my favorite type of soup. I look forward to trying this! Thanks for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." I hope you will be able to join us again this week. http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2013/11/try-new-recipe-tuesday-november-12.html

La Table De Nana said...

I just added molasses:)Love!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Glad you like it, Monique. It gives it a nice richness.