Monday, June 16, 2014

Jackie’s Pecan Pie


I took dinner to dad for Father's Day yesterday, all of his favorites: roast beef, mashed potatoes, green beans, cole slaw, crusty bread, and pecan pie.   Actually, I think with the exception of the pie, these were my favorites, but no matter, a meal of fresh, homemade food is a pleasure for my dad, as is the company. He does like pecan pie though, so dessert was a no brainer.

As you know, I am not particularly a pie person. Growing up, pie always seemed more like a punishment than dessert. Hot fruit in a crust?  That's breakfast, not dessert. The ideal dessert for me was a cookie.  But I've grown, literally and figuratively, and have come to appreciate pie. This recipe, appropriately, was my mother's. I'm told by pie fanatics that this is the best recipe for pecan pie. The secret, apparently, is the higher temperature at which the pie is baked, causing a toasting of the pecans, resulting in a richer flavor. It is exceptionally good. Here is the recipe in her own words, but I found the addition of another 1/4 cup of pecans to be just perfect.

Jackie’s Pecan Pie

3 eggs, lightly beaten
2/3 cup sugar
14 tsp. salt
1/3 cup melted butter
1 cup dark corn syrup
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup pecan halves
1 9-inch unbaked pie shell

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Mix together all ingredients except pecans and pie shell. Stir in pecans. Pour into unbaked pie shell and bake 40-50 minutes.

This post is linked to:

6 comments:

Denise said...

Oh Pattie, I LOVE a good pecan pie!! Just looking at this picture makes me hungry. :) This truly looks and sounds delicious, and I've already pinned the recipe. Thanks so much for sharing and have a great week!

Hugs,

Denise at Forest Manor

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh yum, pecan pie is one of my favorites. This sounds fabulous. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me.

~~louise~~ said...

Who can resist homemade Pecan Pie, Pattie? I'm sure your Dad appreciated the entire meal especially that Pecan Pie!

Thanks so much for sharing, Pattie...

Maria Elena said...

Sounds amazing! Thank you so much for sharing at Tuesdays at Our Home. Hugs, Maria

Linda said...

My granny made fruit pies (and the best crust in the world) almost every week in our house, so pie was and still is my favorite food group. She didn't make nut pies though, and the first good one I had was my MIL's. Her recipe called for 2 tablespoons shortening instead of butter, but it was wonderful.

I have made many pecan pie recipes and loved them all, but my favorite so far was a bourbon pecan pie! I will have to give yours a try, because it looks delish.

BTW, I say puh-kahn, not pee-can. ;)

Lisa Boyle said...

These looks beautiful and delicious! Thanks for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." I look forward to seeing what you'll share this week. http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2014/06/try-new-recipe-tuesday-june-24.html