Friday, June 6, 2014

Stone Fruit Crumble with Raspberries


 
Isn't it amazing how our tastes change from season to season?  In the winter, I never think about fruit. Winter is all vegetables for me, and in all sorts of warming comfort food dishes. Once the weather warms though, I can't wait to sink my teeth into the fruits of summer. 

I am a big stone fruit fan, and, yes I love every one of them from the myriad available. This morning I was eyeing two boxes of stone fruits from Melissa's, one package of plum bites, and the other of peach bites.  At the same time that I was eyeing these, I was thawing a bag of frozen raspberries that my dad found in his freezer and gave to me. The wheels started turning, and thus I give you, the amazingly easy, super delicious, Stone Fruit Crumble with Raspberries!  This, my friends, is how a recipe is born.  Served hot or at room temperature, with ice cream or not, it is a wonderful taste of summer that everyone will enjoy.

Stone Fruit Crumble with Raspberries

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup macadamia nuts
Pinch of salt
1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into ½” cubes

1 bag frozen raspberries, thawed and drained
1 box (1 lb.) of Melissa’s Organic Peach Bites pitted and large diced
1 box (1 lb.) of Melissa’s Plum Bites pitted and large diced
1/4 -1/2 cup granulated sugar

Preheat oven to 425°F.

Pulse flour, sugar, macadamias, and salt in a food processor until nuts are chopped and all is mixed. Add butter and pulse until mixture begins to clump.

Place fruit in a medium mixing bowl and toss gently with sugar.  Taste the mixture to avoid over or under sweetening.  The amount you need depends upon the tartness of your fruit.

Spread fruit in an 8 deep-dish pie plate and cover evenly with topping, mounding in the center.

Bake crumble in middle of oven until fruit is bubbly and topping is golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes.  Cover with foil if topping begins to get too brown.

Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.


This post is linked to:

2 comments:

Linda said...

Beautiful! Love this idea for the crumble - so many crumble recipes call for oats, and I love oats but not in my crust. :)

Miz Helen said...

Hi Patti,
What a fabulous dessert, we will love it! Thanks so much for sharing this awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday and come back soon!
Miz Helen