Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Moroccan Grilled Salmon


For the most part, Mr. O-P is the fish cooker in the family.  I grew up not eating any fish at all.  I think my only youthful experience with fish was a bad one involving fish sticks.  After that there was no turning back; I was a confirmed fish hater.  I liked seafood, all kinds, but fish?  No, thank you.  Don’t even get me started about the wretchedness of canned tuna.  I cannot stand that to this day.  But during our years of courting,Mr. O-P made me many a dinner and introduced me to the deliciousness of salmon.  He has made so many varieties of dishes using this fish that he is currently working on a salmon cookbook.

Having recently unearthed this recipe (saved because I naturally assumed he’d make it for me), I decided to surprise him and make it myself.  For a first time salmon cooker I’m told that I did just fine.

I made a few changes based upon personal tastes.  I used Greek yogurt, my own homegrown parsley (so fresh!), and doubled the amount of cumin.  I also used my Griddler (indoor grill) instead of braving the rain. This fish is definitely a keeper!

Moroccan Grilled Salmon
From The Essential Eating Well Cookbook (2004)

2 tablespoons low-fat or nonfat plain yogurt
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
3/4 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
8 ounces center-cut salmon fillet, skinned and cut into 2 portions
2 lemon wedges

Combine yogurt, parsley, cilantro, lemon juice, oil, garlic, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the sauce; cover and refrigerate. Place salmon in a medium sealable plastic bag. Pour in the remaining yogurt mixture, seal the bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 10 (or up to 30) minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat grill to medium-high.

Oil the grill rack. Remove the salmon from the marinade, blotting any excess. Grill the salmon until it is browned and just cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Top the salmon with the reserved sauce and garnish with lemon wedges.

Serves 2

This post is linked to:

2 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

Hi Pattie,
I know there's no turning back once someone becomes a fish hater. Too bad you had such a bad experience in your youth. And tuna, well canned tuna is not a good way to really enjoy tuna. Fresh tuna doesn't even resemble the canned stuff!!!

I do love Salmon and I'm glad your husband cooked his way into your "fish" heart. This version sounds delicious. I've marinated salmon in sour cream before but never yogurt. Silly me:) I may need to try it this way since I happen to have fresh yogurt in the fridge.

Thanks so much for sharing, Pattie...

Miz Helen said...

This would be a delicious Grilled Salmon recipe that we would really enjoy! Thanks so much for sharing this awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday and come back soon!
Miz Helen