Saturday, July 12, 2014

Seaside Picnic Table Setting


You don't have to live near the beach to have a beach picnic. Just set your dining room table with natural and beach-y elements and you're good to go. 
I have loved the elements of the sea from early on. I have no idea where this love came from, but it has been with me since my youth. When other kids had comic book characters on their sheets, I had fish and sea life. I miss those sheets. I raised live fish from my high school days until I married and had children (who, it turns out, took a lot more care than a fifty-five gallon tank of fish!). This love, naturally, gravitated toward tableware, and I have been collecting various forms of sea life dinner and serve wear since the seventies. 
The linens, from Pottery Barn, are favorites of mine. They always make me feel as if I'm at a clam bake. I can almost smell the smoke from the wood fire and the salty air. 
The placemats from Pier One seemed the perfect choice here, reminiscent of fences along the grassy dunes. 
Flatware came from a Crate and Barrel picnic basket received as a wedding gift. It's not every table that can successfully support plastic utensils, but it works here, providing a casual, outdoor feel, not to mention a touch of whimsy. 
 The salmon (natch!) rimmed chargers are from Fitz & Floyd's Coquilles pattern. 
Nubby white plates from Old Time Pottery seem at home in any table setting. 
The blue fish plates were an eBay find. I love how the blue picks up the same color in the linens, and how the plates frame the word Menu on the napkins. How perfect is that?
Starfish candle holders were an impulse buy at Pier One. I bought them to cluster as a part of a centerpiece, but far prefer having one at each place setting. It is so cozy. 

The runner and sea urchins are from Pottery Barn (the urchins are vase fillers), the driftwood fish from One King's Lane. Sea glass vase filler from World Market adds a bit of sparkle. 

As I was setting the table I noticed how perfectly the throw and pillow went with this setting. 

The pillow is one of a large number of clever and well-made items from Heather at ElliotHeathDesigns on Etsy. You can find this exact pillow here, or check out her shop here. No matter what your decorating style she has a gorgeous pillow to match. 

Now, how about joining me for some PiƱa Colladas and crab cakes?

13 comments:

Sarah said...

Pina colladas and crab cakes……..count me in.
Your seaside picnic is very inviting. Cute fish plates that allow those darling napkins to be spotlighted.

Patti Estep @ Hearth and Vine said...

Love the napkins. Nice color choices.

Christine @ Rustic-Refined said...

Now THAT is a beach tablescape! Love it, bravo! Bravo! Pinning this!

xinex said...

This is one of the best beach tables I have ever seen. You really, made it perfect.....Christine

Ivy and Elephants said...

Absolutely gorgeous tablescape. You did a fabulous job. Pefection!

Paula

Kathleen said...

Great table! Love those twiggy fish!

SewSweetVIntage said...

I <3 your table and now I want to go to the shore! Pinned

The Charm of Home said...

This looks wonderful. I love Pier 1 and Pottery Barn. So I right away was drawn to the textures and patterns.
Sherry

LORY said...

I absolutely love when a setting has a concept without being "hokey" and you've achieved that perfectly. The patterned napkins drive the whole feeling but your other whimsical touches from the sea add a delightful note. Love the pillow, love the cable throw beneath and all the rugged seafarer details. Lovely, tasteful, fun!

Lory
Designthusiasm.com

Lady of the Manor said...

This is such a fun table! Great job! I love those twig fish!!

Beeutiful by Design said...

Everything looks so lovely I love the fish centerpieces

thepaintedapron.com said...

My favorite part is the lobster pillow and cable knit throw, but I LOVE it all! The driftwood fish are perfect of course and I love the way you can see through the fish bowl to the linens, and all the layers of texture you used. Fabulous!
Jenna

Sharlotte said...

I love your table and anything sea related! I especially love all the textures you so creatively added. We live by the Gulf of Mexico and love the beach too! Thanks so much for sharing!