Thursday, December 29, 2016

Boxing Day Brunch

While most people tend to celebrate the holidays on either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, for the past 10 years I've been celebrating Boxing Day on December 26th. 
There are many reasons for doing so, the biggest one, I suppose, is that it's very convenient to get everyone together on the day after Christmas, rather than try to work around so many families and schedules in order to have a gathering on the 24th or 25th. The Boxing Day celebration has become a tradition in my house, everyone is happy to be beyond the stress of the holidays, they've gotten their gifts, they've relaxed, and now they can get together for conviviality and a great meal.
 I've been mixing things up a lot this year, doing things differently, in order to make new traditions in what will be Chapter 3 of my life. In the past I've always had a Boxing Day dinner. This year I decided to have a Boxing Day brunch. Prior to her passing, my mother had always been the queen of the Christmas brunch. She served brunch on Christmas morning every year of my life. When she passed away, it left a tremendous void. I wasn't sure that I'd be able to fill her shoes, but have been told by all of the attendees, that I did it in spades. The tree candle holders here are very special. My dad made them, and my mother painted them. She used them for years, and now I am honored to have them as my own.
I tried to pay homage to both my mother and husband, by serving some of their dishes. I honored Jim, who hailed from New Jersey, with a New Jersey Coffee Cake; I served my mother's Raspberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake as well. The other recipes were all new. A lot of people, I'm told, would in no way feel comfortable serving a meal of all new recipes to a crowd, but I'm fearless, so I dove right in.
I knew it was a success when the children in the group went back for seconds on green beans. Have you ever heard of children getting seconds on the vegetable? Huge success! I also developed a new potato casserole that got thumbs up all around, based on the ubiquitous party potatoes, but so much better. 
This post is to give you a look at the two tables that I set for the brunch; in the upcoming week, I'll be providing you with the recipes.
 
Stay tuned, follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or sign up to get email notifications of my blog. You are not going to want to miss any of these delicious recipes.
Happy New Year!

(As a side note, I'd like to mention that the little rocking chair by the tree was my dad's when he was a little boy. He used it, I used it, and now my granddaughter gets to use it. The Santa pillow is one that I stitched, and my mother sewed together. Lots of family memories here.)

This post is linked to:

14 comments:

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

This all sounds so wonderful. Love the candle holders your father made- what a treasure! We end up traveling 250 miles to be with family each year. I served breakfast and dinner on Christmas Day at my mother's. I stuck with things I knew but I was not in my kitchen with the choices and supplies to do otherwise. I'll watch for your recipes and I'm now following you on Instagram.
Best wishes for a Happy New Year!

Cee Pluse said...

I love the fearless color combinations on your table! I can't wait to see your recipes as well. Have a very happy New Year!

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

Sounds like a very good idea! This year we hosted Christmas dinner and it was stressful for me. I have done it for 40 some years then the past 6 years my daughter did it but the day starts late, then opening gifts, trying to get everything hot together etc... I may just suggest this for next year! Looking forward to the recipes!!!!

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

PS, love the candle holders your Dad made and want to ask about the pinecone dishes!!! I love them, can you tell me brand or name of them? They are perfect for all winter!!!!

thepaintedapron.com said...

Your tables are fabulous and festive, LOVE the tree candlesticks your parents made! I'm so glad your brunch was a hit, I try out new recipes on guests all the time :) Can't wait to see the recipes! Happy New Year!
Jenna

sandy said...

Love all the photos...so festive and i imagine the recipes will be great.

Linda said...

I love everything! I had already spotted the Santa pillow, as well as the red nose pillow with the throw. I love the big windows in your home - everything looks so gorgeous yet comfy and homey. I can't imagine the fun that was had and am looking forward to the recipes.

Songthatdoesntend said...

What a beautiful table setting! I love those candleholders. They are so unique looking. Your dad is pretty handy.

Sarah said...

Great plans! The tables are so festive. I know everyone enjoyed this brunch. Your tree is gorgeous, and I like the Santa pillow. Is it needlepoint?
Happy New Year, Pattie.

GranthamLynn said...

Love this. Come over at link at The Fabulous January party so I don't miss any recipes. Please! I love your place settings! I want some pine cone dishes for my green house room. We decorated with a cabin theme. We just moved in so it was our first time with this special room! I loved your post. I do hope you'll come over and link! Here's the party!
http://ourholidayjourney.blogspot.com/2017/01/january-fabulous-tidy-up-link-party.html
Thanks for sharing.

Chloe Crabtree said...

It looks like you have done a top notch job of following in your Mother's footsteps. Sounds like your brunch was a success all 'round. You set two lovely tables with all kinds of tradition included in them. Thank you so much for sharing at Celebrate Your Story!

The Charm of Home said...

That is a better view of those plates I love! Who makes them? Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home.

Unknown said...

Aww...how great! LOVE tradition!

I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, tips, and tricks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

Sandra Lee said...

So many treasures here and I know your recipes will be treasures as well.