Friday, March 24, 2017

Spicy Thai Shrimp Pasta

In the years before we were married, my future husband had a large home in the city. Because he had so much space, he offered up a room to a visiting professor from Princeton. The three of us were quite a trio, going on a lot of “dates” together because the visiting professor, Corby, didn't have a lot of other people to hang out with.

Every Saturday we would go to the historic Soulard Farmers Market in the city of St. Louis. It was always bustling, colorful, and a fun place to be. The three of us would split up, get various things, and then meet at the entrance to the market, where we would compare notes, and then go off to have lunch.

One time, Jim and I stayed together loading up on all kinds of fruits, vegetables, and fresh herb plants. When we met up with Corby at the entrance and started walking toward the car we asked him what he’d bought. He looked at us with puzzlement and said, “I bought a duck.” And then he shook his head and said, “Why did I buy a duck? I have no idea what I'm going to do with this duck.”

 The reason I tell you this story is that yesterday I bought shrimp. A lot of shrimp. I have no idea what I'm going to do with the shrimp, and, like Corby, I don't know why I bought the shrimp. I never buy fish or seafood that was always Jim's job, so somehow I guess I felt like should buy shrimp. So now, the search is on for ways in which to use it. I'll get back to you. In the meantime, I tried this recipe, and it is delicious!

Spicy Thai Shrimp Pasta
Adapted from Noble Pig

Sauce:
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
1 Melissa's serrano pepper, seeded and deveined
1 stalk Melissa's lemon grass, sliced into ¼” pieces
1 garlic clove
1 (1" piece) fresh ginger, peeled and minced
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1-1/2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
Juice of 1/2 lime

Shrimp:
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 lb.  large shrimp, deveined, shells, tails removed and sliced lengthwise
8 oz. angel hair pasta, prepared according to package

Garnishes:
Chopped cilantro
Chopped scallions
Sweet Red Chili Sauce
Lime wedges
 Red pepper flakes (optional)

Add all ingredients for the sauce into the bowl of a blender.  Puree until completely smooth. Set aside.

Over medium heat in a very large nonstick pan, sauté shrimp in 1 tablespoon of oil until opaque. Add reserved sauce from blender and warm over gentle heat. Stir in cooked pasta until combined.

Garnish with sliced green onion and drizzle each serving with Sweet Red Chili Sauce, if desired.

This post is linked to:


4 comments:

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

This sounds so good. I love Asian food and I try to go at least once a week to my favorite little restaurant.

Thanks so much for the recipe.

Have a great weekend Pattie

Mary

The Lazy Gastronome said...

I love Thai flavors - this looks delicious! Thanks for sharing on the What's for Dinner link up

Miz Helen said...

What a great combination, I love your photo! Hope you are having a great weekend and thanks so much for sharing with us at Full Plate Thursday!
Miz Helen

Sandra Lee said...

Wow Pattie this looks great and I love your presentation!