Monday, September 25, 2017

Slow Cooker Beef Barbacoa


It's a banner day when one of the local markets has chuck roast on sale. Yes, this is how sad my life has become, that I am excited over discount meat. Nonetheless, it's true, and I was thrilled to bits this past week when I spotted a sale. I happily placed four chuck roasts into my cart and, after checking out, had to keep myself from skipping to the car with glee.

Chuck roast is so flavorful and versatile, that I panic when I don't have one in the freezer. I love it in barbecued beef, it is a succulent addition to beef and broccoli, makes the best rogan josh I have ever tasted, and a fabulous Beef Barbacoa. If you're not familiar with the latter, you are in for a real treat. Ideally, it makes an excellent filling in hard or soft tacos, enchiladas, or burritos. I find it equally delicious on top of a taco salad. Toss on a couple of Fritos, and I am in absolute heaven.
 This is an easy recipe because, aside from searing the meat in a pan on the stove (something you need to do in order to seal in the juices), everything is done in the crockpot. Just sit back, relax, enjoy the heady aroma, and prepare for some delicious eating come dinnertime.
Slow Cooker Beef Barbacoa

4 pound chuck roast
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1-1/2 tablespoons cumin, more or less, to taste
2 chipotle chiles in adobo, more or less, to taste
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 cup chicken stock
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
2 bay leaves

Season roast with salt and pepper; set aside. In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil until shimmering. Carefully place meat into pan. Sear on both sides, and then all edges. Place seared roast into a 6-quart slow cooker, and set to "high."

Place remaining ingredients EXCEPT bay leaves into a blender or food processor and pulse until smooth. Pour the sauce over the meat, toss in bay leaves, cover and cook on high heat for 6 hours (or low for 10).

Carefully remove roast from slow cooker, shred meat, removing any pieces of fat. Return beef to sauce, stir to coat, and serve.

 This post is linked to:




6 comments:

Stacey said...

Pattie, I make this very similarly but adding the lime is a fantastic idea. I get excited over chuck roast too. :)

Marigene said...

This sounds delicious, can't wait to try it. It has just been too darned hot to do a lot of cooking, but it is supposed start cooling off this week, so I may find more incentive to cook again. It seems like this has been an endless summer!

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

I was all happy about chuck roasts being on sale last week, too, and thought to myself that it doesn't take much to make my day sometimes. Now, for that cooler weather predicted for Wednesday; I'm all set.


Your beef barbacoa recipe sounds delicious.

Alycia Nichols said...

I love a good barbacoa, and this sounds like one! It looks amazing the way you had it as a part of a taco salad. Not your everyday taco salad for sure!

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

It sounds wonderful. I am going to get a couple, fix one and put the other one in the freezer. Thanks so much for the recipe.

Mary

Miz Helen said...

I will be trying this recipe very soon, it looks amazing! Thanks so much for sharing your awesome post with us at Full Plate Thursday and come back soon!
Miz Helen