Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Black Bean Hummus

 
I love hummus! What I don’t particularly care for is tahini, generally one of the main ingredients in hummus. I’m not wild about the flavor or the price, or the fact that it seems to only come in large jars that ultimately end up getting shoved to the back of the fridge after I have it used it only once or twice — one or two tablespoons per use — where it mocks me every time I open the refrigerator door, and ultimately goes bad. That’s why this recipe is so appealing. No tahini! Made with fairly common pantry ingredients, this is an excellent snack, a great thing to serve when you have surprise guests (or guests that you’ve actually invited), and healthy to boot.

Black Bean Hummus

1 15-oz.can black beans, drained and rinsed

1 small clove garlic

1 scallion, both white and green parts

2 T. extra virgin olive oil

1½ T. fresh lemon juice

1 T. champagne vinegar

½ t. ground cumin

½ t. kosher salt

Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

 Place all ingredients into the work bowl of a high-speed mini food processor. Blend until smooth. Refrigerate for one hour to allow flavors to meld before serving.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 

7 comments:

Donna said...

Oh goodness...I just can't do black bean anything...lol
hugs
Donna

Gina said...

I feel the exact same way about tahini! I have a couple of cans of garbanzos languishing in my pantry for the same reason - I don't want to buy tahini to make hummus. But I also love the flavor of black beans, so this hummus looks like more my style!

Marie Smith said...

We have increased our consumption of beans. I will try this recipe.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I like black beans and would probably enjoy this hummus. I have no problem with tahini and in fact we really like it.

Linda said...

I LOVE black beans! I feel exactly the same way about tahini. Great idea Pattie!

Lana said...

My daughter always subs creamy peanut butte for tahini and that might have come from Ina. I know it was one of the famous good cooks.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

That’s interesting, Lana. Peanut butter has such a strong taste compared to tahini, I’m not sure how I would like that, but I am intrigued.