Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Jalapeño Popper Quiche

 
I am one of those old people who get upset when there’s a change in routine, similarly to the way my grandmother got upset when Walter Cronkite took vacation and was replaced by Roger Mudd. In my case, it was due to baseball. First of all, this season the Cardinals are a pathetic team. Second, the game on Sunday was scheduled for the shockingly early hour of 11 AM CDST. Lastly, it wasn’t shown on its regular network, but on Peacock TV. So, let me just say that my day did not start off well. When things like this happen, and I feel myself slipping into Bizarro World, I start thinking about recipes I like, and how I can mix them up and turn them into something entirely different. Sports make me think of jalapeño poppers. The early game time made me think of breakfast, ergo, jalapeño popper quiche. I had no idea what I was doing, but let me tell you, the outcome was MAGNIFICENT! This is so good! I think it’s also a quiche that a man would be proud to eat.

Jalapeño Popper Quiche

 1 pie crust*

4 large eggs

1 c. heavy cream

Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

4 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled, reserve some for garnish**

4 oz. cream cheese, cubed

2-3 Melissa’s pickled jalapeños, seeded and chopped***

1 c. shredded cheddar, divided

3 scallions, chopped, divided

 Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare the pie crust if making your own; set aside.

 In a medium mixing bowl, vigorously whisk eggs and heavy cream; season with salt and pepper.

 Scatter bacon, cream cheese, jalapeños, half of the cheddar, and half of the scallions on the bottom of the pie crust. Carefully pour egg mixture into the crust.

Bake the quiche for 40-45 minutes, or until the eggs are set. While the quiche is still warm, add the other half of the cheddar cheese on top and allow cheese to melt. Garnish with chopped bacon and scallions. Allow to stand for ten minutes before slicing and serving.

* I used frozen because it was convenient

** Go to the extra effort of doing this in a pan on the stove, and cook it very dark, so that you get that deep, rich, broiled bacon flavor as you would on a traditional popper.

*** Use pickled jalapeños because they have more flavor here.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

 

4 comments:

Linda said...

This is exactly my kind of food! I love jalapeno popper ANYTHING! I'm kind of glad you had a bizarro day if this is the result. ;)

Marie Smith said...

Looks so good. Baseball or not…

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Patti- This looks delicious. When I ate eggs, I was always a fan of quiche!

Donna said...

Every time I come here, I gain five pounds!! lolol
hugs
Donna