Sunday, June 30, 2024

Setting Tables Collaging Place Settings of Beauty by Nancy LaPonzina, Reviewed

 
Setting a beautiful table is very popular these days. You cannot go online without seeing one beautiful tablescape after another; it can be intimidating. We all want to have a lovely table, but do we all need that much dinnerware in order to do it? Me? I’m obsessed with dinnerware, and have so much of it that I have three industrial storage racks (soon to be a fourth) in the basement in order to hold it all. But that doesn’t mean that you can’t set a lovely table with what you already have lurking in cupboards and china cabinets. Nancy LaPonzina is the one to tell you how to do exactly that in her vastly informative book, Setting Tables Collaging place settings of beauty: Joyful mix & match inspiration from your china closet.

LaPonzina has all of her dinnerware in one china cabinet. From that she is able to get dozens and dozens of beautiful tables by simply combining her dinnerware in non-traditional ways. As she points out, with her eight different china patterns, and using three plates plus a charger, she can come up with well over 4000 different combinations. I found that staggering. It also told me that I need to do far more experimentation than I have been doing, instead of largely relying on my “go to” that’s been to buy something new.

With her economical mindset, plus her photographer’s presentation portfolio (divided into sections for each type of dinnerware) that she uses to contain photos of everything she has, she is able to easily, and beautifully, design a table in less time than it takes most of us to even think about it.

 I am all about using things in ways other than for which they are intended, so I fell in love with this table setting featuring a majolica wall vase used to hold a lovely striped napkin.

 
She suggests purchasing only four of any type of tableware – plate, cutlery, stemware, linens – reasoning that smaller parties occur far more often than larger ones. Should there be more than four guests at a table, existing tableware can be mixed and matched with other items on hand. As someone who came from a mother whose main advice in life was to collect service for 12, I found this very enlightening. I also found myself wrapping a lot of plates, cups, and saucers for donation to free up some of my very cluttered, jam-packed space. 
 
This should be the first book you purchase before you consider getting into tablescaping. Many of the pitfalls people fall into — myself included — are covered here, such as resisting holiday patterns (no matter how cute and tempting they may be) because of their limited use. This idea, and many more, can be found in this helpful and practical guide.
 
Lighting, linens, and whimsy are all covered in this book in addition to dinnerware, making it as perfect for the novice as it is for veteran tablescapers like me who, even as a seasoned veteran, found myself learning something from this lovely guide. The pictures are beautiful and inspiring, the advice is thoughtful, useful, and easy to put into practice.

 As well as writing about tablescapes, Nancy is also an award-winning fiction author. She can be found on Instagram @nancy_laponzina.

 As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.



3 comments:

Linda said...

I think that YOU should be the one writing the book about tablescapes. We currently have my husband's office in place of a dining room table. There are times we miss that dining space, but space limits us in this house. In our dream house we will have a dedicated office space, dining room, and at least 2 guest bedrooms, in addition to all the other rooms we want. Then we remember, we really don't like having to keep all that space cleaned!

Donna said...

It Is a lovely table setting! I have four different sets of dinner ware and on occasion, have had to play the mix and match game! lol
hugs
Donna

thepaintedapron.com said...

I would love to flip through this book. I have sworn off buying any more dishes, as I have 2 houses full! I am trying to put what I already have together in new and innovative ways~ using that wall vase for a napkin holder is definitely thinking outside the box!
Jenna