Monday, October 10, 2011

Comfort Food for all Occasions


There have been any number of times in my life when I have both accepted and offered meals of comfort. Simple, comfort meals to help someone through a loss, sickness, or a difficult or exhausting time due to a change in life situation be it joyous or unfortunate. Whenever I find myself in this situation (as I did last week), wanting to help a neighbor through a rough spot, I head for my "go to" meal that has never failed to satisfy.  It's an easy one to put together, and makes enough to not only share, but provide us with a tasty evening meal.  Roast beef and gravy is always the main course; green beans amandine and mashed potato casserole the two comforting sides.  I package them up in containers that do not need to be returned, and label them with instructions on reheating.  The beef and beans require no recipes, but for the potatoes I head for one of my old favorites among cookbooks (and one you're probably sick of hearing about), St. Louis Days, St. Louis Nights.  I've reproduced the recipe page below so you can have the benefit of my pithy comments.  It's make ahead, reheats beautifully, freezes, can be halved, doubled or tripled, and has found itself gracing the table on any number of holidays.  It's simply one of those recipes where you just can't go wrong.  How right is that?


This post is linked to:

4 comments:

Annie-Savor This Moment said...

These potatoes sound perfect.

I love that you package your comfort food in disposable containers. It also cuts down on dishes since they can be tossed. When someone is sick or has had a baby or dealing with whatever it is, more dishes to do and returning them are not ideal.

I'm here via Tuesdays at the Table!

Mary said...

What a wonderful gesture~ love the disposable containers & instruction labels! My MIL makes the same mashed potato casserole~ it's always a winner and my kind of comfort food!

The Church Cook said...

Labor of love like this always blesses and encourage the down trodden. Beautiful gift, Pattie...

Liberty said...

great recipe and container idea!
Blessings
http://bit.ly/ouXgr8