Sunday, October 23, 2011

Hearty Steak Soup in a Bread Bowl


I am convinced that any type of food served in an edible container will always be a winner.  Case in point, anything at all in a chocolate cup, brandied mashed sweet potatoes in orange cups, and any type of soup in a bread bowl.  Am I right?  There is just something about knowing that you can eat both the food and the container that makes it so much fun.  The main dish at the luncheon I served a couple of days ago was a hearty steak soup -- most welcome since the weather took a rather surprising cold turn.  The soup on its own is delicious, but served in a bread bowl where you can scoop up both soup and bread to savor at once is comfort food heaven.

The bowls I picked up at St. Louis Bread Company (Panera to anyone who lives outside of the St. Louis metro area), the soup is my own recipe.  As is the case with any soup, it's really all about using what you have, experimenting with various tastes, and coming up with something that is pleasing to your palate.  So consider this recipe as more of a guideline than God's word.





Hearty Steak Soup

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
2 pounds ground chuck
1 large onion, diced
60 oz. beef stock*
1 cup diced carrots
4 ounces button mushrooms, quartered
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 cup diced potatoes
1 cup fresh green beans, cut in half
1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
2 cups frozen corn
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 teaspoon crushed dried thyme
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Melt butter in large stock pot.  Add flour stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes.  Slowly add stock and continue stirring until the roux is fully incorporated.  Add vegetables.  Cook over medium heat until vegetables are tender.  Meanwhile, in large skillet or saute pan, brown ground chuck and onion.  Drain.  Add to vegetable mixture and simmer until you achieve desired thickness.  If need be, mix up a tablespoon of cornstarch and tablespoon of cold water and stir in.  Season to taste with freshly ground pepper, steak sauce, or your favorite steak seasoning mixture.

 If using a bread bowl to serve this soup, you might want it a bit thinner as a lot of the juice is absorbed by the bowl. 

*canned, homemade, or made from Better than Bouillon Soup Base




This post is linked to:
 On The Menu Monday-StoneGable


4 comments:

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Oh you gave me just the right thing, I always wanted to do this on an edible bowl and never knew how! I love it that you can eat it all too specially if it's bread as it all tastes of the same so yummy!! thanks for sharing this great recipe and have a nice Sunday my friend. FABBY

Rettabug said...

Yummo, Pattie! This looks like it would really hit the spot, especially today. We had our first frost overnight. Yikes! I have everyone on hand to make it except the fresh meat. We have 2 Paneras nearby & they carry my very most favorite bread. (Asiago Cheese)

I loved seeing your creepy witch finger cookies. I've made them & dipped the back area into raspberry jam for an even more gory appearance. The grandboys loved them...Ms. C...not so much. LOL

Bohemian said...

Thanks for stopping by my Blog and I'm glad you enjoyed my French Market Post, it was a lot of fun to attend & I went berserk with the Photography... so the final Post, which will be the next one, is completely over the top to try to cram all the delightful visuals into! *LOL, Editing is NOT my strong point*

Your Soup Bowl Creation looks so tasty. My Dad was a Master Chef and he always said people eat with their eyes first, so presentation is so important and the edible bowl has always visually appealed to me too so I completely agree with you.

Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Another wonderful recipe to try! I love that it's in a bread bowl, too!!